Do I have proctitis or not ? Confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with uc proctitis after a sigmoidoscopy and prescribed 500mg asacol suppositories which have pretty much cleared the only symptoms I had which were blood and mucus .I have now received a copy of the letter sent to my gp stating my sigmoidoscopy showed the possibility of proctitis but the biopsies were completely normal with no evidence of inflammation .what does this mean do i have it or not ??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle!

That does sound a little contradictory, certainly. My advice would be to make an appointment with your GP and get his/her opinion.

Do come back and let us know how you get on, if you're happy to do so.

Best wishes,

Peter A x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Peter . I have had a telephone consultation with my GP who was also a little confused , she is going to contact my consultant to find out what's going on .

I will let you know the outcome when I find out

Thanks again

• Posted

Good news!  As they say, 'Great minds think alike'!!

Looking forward to learning more!

Regards,

Peter A

• Posted

I would say that it's just inflammation of the lower rectal area and that's why you were only given a non oral treatment. Blood and mucus would be normal with this and if that's cleared things up happy days.

They would have taken Radom samples of the colon to rule out cancer and micro colitis. Also looking for polops.

• Posted

Mine is also Ulverative proctitis and am going through a flair up as we speak. I get a lot of pain down there with mine and also my stools come out quite normal for having this. Sorry for being graphic and hope this has helped in any way.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply . I'm a little confused at the fact I'm fine for most of the time but I get the occasional day when I get lots of mucus and rarely a little blood .Im keeping a diary of it now to show the consultant when I have my follow up .su rely a flare would last longer than 1 day

• Posted

The flair up am on at the minute has been on the go since last mid November and one of the big flair ups I had went on for 6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.