Do I have rabies?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys! I'm a 15 year old Highschool student from a country in Southeast Asia. 10 days ago, I went to the province for a vacation and went to my brother's house. His 6-months old puppy, a very playful one, started to play with me. I then went to my brother's computer and did some stuff. I didn't notice that the puppy was biting my foot (I had my socks on) and left a really small bite from a tooth. I was anxious that time and researched ALOT about rabies.

I'm now having a dry cough and a runny nose and I had this since 2-3 days ago. I'm not noticing any signs of hydrophobia though, but I'm really anxious. Take note, the dog is a house pet, and that dog doesn't even go out and stays indoors. The bite wound is healing now. 

If I have any grammatical mistakes, please forgive me for English isn't my mother tongue.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, puppies are a bit nippy aren't they, but sooo cute.

Rabies is thankfully not in UK but I can understand where your coming from, do you know where the puppy came from and if so you could contact the breeder and make sure the bithch and sire are healthy, also you could ring your brother and ask if the pups still good.

I think that the chances of it having rabies is probably not high, I can though understand your concerns, even if I get bit I worry about infection.

So try not to get to stressed and keep chatting

• Posted

My bad, the pup is 6 weeks old and around the size of my two palms. The pup is still good whatsoever but I'm now afraid because I've heard of cases of flu-like symptoms like runny nose and cough (which I have now.)

• Posted

You wouldn't be typing though. Rabies makes dogs act cr*zy. Since you didn't mention the dog acting like this you shouldn't be worried. I don't think you can get it since the dog doesn't have it either. Take care of the wound. Apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound so it can cleanse it. Apply a ban

• Posted

A bandage. Keep it covered so it won't get infected. If you are close the hospital they will give you a shot. Take Care👍Don't let the dog bite you. Close the door if you have too and keep him out.

• Posted

Update: I now have cough and runny nose, which they say is one of the symptoms of rabies. I told my mother about this and other people too. Me and my mother went to the city hall to have myself checked but instead they corrected me that dogs would only release rabies only when agitated. They never even took close inspection and the first thing they told me is that If I am already showing symptoms, they couldn't help me anymore and just let me die or something. My mother was convinced by the woman who was on the animal bite office, but I wasn't. No one would listen to me. I've read alot of articles about rabies and it makes me feel hopeless. Maybe the only thing I could do now is to live the last few days of my life.

• Posted

As I said before that I do not believe you have rabies, but you will not believe anyone so your best to just get on with your life and in a couple of days when your not dead you will actually see we are right.

Dogs with rabies are sadly crazy that's one way of knowing, has the puppy died

• Posted

rabies would be doubtful! pop to the docs and get a tetanus shot!
    • Posted

I think he would be too late for tetnus shot if it was rabies, he is in Asia and I'm sure he's fine now, are you OK Bacon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.