Do i have to remove the femur rod and 5 screws???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I had a surgery after an accident which caused multi ligament tear and knee dislocation, underwent 2 surgeries by fixing a rod into my thigh bone along with PCL fixation and have 5 screws totally. It's just been about 4 months and I struggled a lot with knee stiffness but got the knee bend restored till 115 degrees. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the rod and the 5 screws out after 2 or 3 yrs???? If removed, do I have to go through the knee stiffness problem and the physiotherapy for it post removal surgery as I could not bare the pain that I had while I underwent physiotherapy !! Please suggest me

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am a 71year old female and in 2014 I slipped over in the garden and broke my femur.  The next day I had a nail and screws inserted and was told to fully weight bear straight away and left hospital a week later.Obviously it was very painful, stiff and bruised for quite a while but after seven months it was healed.  The problem I had with the screws was that I was getting a crunching/grinding feeling in my hip and at my knee I could see  a mobile lump that was the tendon flicking over the end of the screws. I had been told that because I was slim the screws might be a problem sticking out too far but to see how it went.  Seventeen months after I broke my leg I had an operation to remove the nail and screws but unfortunately the bone had grown over the end of the nail so they couldn't take it out  but just removed the screws. I had instant relief at my hip and knee and no more problems.  All I can say is that if you are not having any problems with the nail etc. then you might as well keep it in as it will be harder to to try and dig the nail out if the bone has more than likely grown over the end. By the way, I didn't have ANY physiotherapy at all after the operation,perhaps they thought I was a tough old bird as I had managed to drag myself about 40 feet back into the house, dragging my broken leg behind me!! 

• Posted

I would recommend talking to your Dr about getting screws removed I have rod and 3 screws in my femur 2 screws are in knee one has always stuck out and catches on ligiment or something it's been 5 years always had stiffness and pain in knee the screw in my hip recently broke and is causing alot problems I'm looking into removal now wish I would have done it sooner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.