Do I have "urinary retention"? Should I be concerned despite good tests? Should I get a cystoscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i'm a Male, 42, lean physique

My question is where I should be considered about what I consider "urinary retention" and whether I should get a cystoscopy based on my already-performed test results.

For 5 years or so, I've had what I consider some minor issues of urinary retention. But it doesn't cause me major discomfort. It is only problematic before sexual intercourse.

Whenever I urinate, I do sense there are few more drops (up to around 20 mL) that haven't come out yet. Generally, it's not a problem. It's not really uncomfortable.

BUT, whenever I am about to have sex with my partner, I need to excuse myself to go to the bathroom because I do not feel I can proceed to ejaculation without shaking out the last drops remaining from my last urination.

It wasn't always this way. There was a time when I could just go to the bathroom and then I could have sex a few minutes to a half hour later. But, now I always have to go the bathroom right before sex.

Typically, I need spend half a minute shaking out between a few drops and 20 mL of urine. Then, I can proceed.

I have seen a urologist.

A digital exam of my prostate seemed normal.

A rectal sonogram seemed normal.

I did a urodynamics test and the lab tech who performed it said I voided everything normally (though I haven't discussed the test with the doctor).

The urologist had scheduled me for a cystoscopy but I cancelled that. I have heard how painful and uncomfortable that can be and I'd like to avoid it unless it highly recommended.

So, do you think I should proceed with that cystoscopy, even though my urodynamics test was deemed "normal"??

Again, what I usually have to do void is only a few drops to around 20 mL.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Buddy

Just did a quick look up. I don't know why the urologist did not tell you that it is normal and it will be mix sometimes with pre cum. They say if you feel it is a problem use a condom.

Ken

• Posted

the cystoscopy is not painful ive always had mine under general anestetic, its afterwards with the cathether being left in for 3 to 4 weeks.painful whenyou get erection, also i the same i dribble alot after urinating surgeon told me it will always be like that.ejacualtion can be watered down with urine also.

• Posted

dont ever have something put in your urethra. You might have enlarged prostate but if youre not in pain and living your life how you want then just try to pee when you can and do more research to see what you need to avoid to keep from worsening the retention. but be sure to empty the bladder as completely as possible to avoid problems with the bladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.