Do I need a biopsy?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Today I visited an urologist recommended by my primary doctor because he found a hard spot on my enlarged prostate .  The urologist did an examination and confirmed there is a hard spot and that my prostate is enlarged. My PSA score is .40, a score that hasn't changed in 15 years (I'm 72 years old).  The urologist feels that it would be best to do a biopsy to make sure there is no cancer.  He did not mention any other tests like an MRI that several on another thread recommend.  I just wonder, given my constant PSA score, if I really need a biopsy.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Geoff  I don't think they do MRI before biopsy on the NHS.  Great service, and free of course, but you do tend to get what you're given.

• Posted

Yes, the NHS is a good system, and as you say, unless you want to get it done private(read this as $$$$), then accept what you get
    • Posted

They do, but you have to press very hard. Also, I discovered to my cost that they do not routinely do targetted biopsies, even if you explicitly request one. The Urologist performing my biopsy just went ahead with the scattergun approach despite me insisting that the instruction sent by my consultant clearly requested targetting in one area.
  • Posted

I know that you have had a considerable response to your post but having reread it I would definitely not have a biopsy for the following reasons:

1) Your age

​2) Your low PSA

​3) The constant nature of your PSA readings

​4) The very real risk of sepsis resulting from the biopsy

Others will differ...........

• Posted

I know different places in the States offer MRI guided biopsy. You have to remember because of the way the prostate is situated there is a side of it that is not visible ...Depending on where cores are removed can make a difference . A good urologist however should know what he his doing
    • Posted

I'll look into the MRI guided biopsy.  Thank you for your help.

• Posted

I don't know what the problem with having a biopsy is to me it was not a big deal basically painless. So just to make sure there's not a deadly life-threatening cancer in your prostate I think it is worth the inconvenience of a biopsy. I had to modify my diet the day before and the hours before and a home enema. That's the worst part of it

• Posted

If I elect for the biopsy I want to get the best and safest one possible. The urologists I saw were recommending a blind transrectal biopsy. But I researched it, here and other places, and found that getting a 3t MRI first would enable me to get a far superior fusion biopsy where they would know in advance which suspicious areas to target, unlike the blind biopsy. And again, with advice from others here I found out that a transperineal biopsy was less likely to lead to infections and sepsis. And better access to some areas of the prostate. Something else my urologist wasn't going g to tell me. Sure, in the end you have to trust your doctor, but you're just one of hundreds of people he has to care for. In the end, it's up to you to learn all you can to make the best decisions. This is invasive surgery, not a brake job on your car where you can go to a different mechanic if the brakes still squeak. I may have to settle for transrectal if insurance dictates, or if transperineal just isn't available for some other reason.

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  Every bit of information is helpful to me.
    • Posted

It is when it goes wrong is the problem. I was an hour away from being a goner and had it not been a Nurse friend who said I had Sepsis 12 hours after the biopsy and got me straight to the Hospital ward and in 5 mins I was in the High Dependency Unit. Now 2 years on I still have urine infections and Prostatitis as a result. To me it is not a simple process.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the biopsy .As with any medical procedure there alway will be the risk of infection .For thousands of men it is painless and free from problems and really is at this time a diagnosis necessity .They are exploring so much into PC and finding out more all the time . One day in the future maybe there will be a far better way but until that time 😯

• Posted

Your analysis of getting  PSA checked, then if need be, a 3T MRI  and then a transpernieal biopsy (for the reasons you mentioned) are spot on.

That was what I had done after seeing my PSA climb.

And cannot think of a better set of steps to take.

• Posted

Yeah, every guys nightmare. Do the right thing and get a biopsy, only to find you are the one to develop sepsis. I guess the medicos said, yes, this is an issue for a very small part of the population, but cost and time wise, the transrectal is the prefered method for most men.

I just saw a publication on medscape..PCa Diagnosis by MR/Ultrasound Fusion-Guided Biopsy. Says that if there is a lesion identified, the fusion guided targeted biopsy finds more PCa, as against blind biopsy. But it goes no to say people(like me) who have no lesions have no choice but to have the blind version. It also said though, a PIRAD score of less than 3 with no lesions may not warrant a biopsy.

Geoff

• Posted

After my experience with Sepsis I know when having a biopsy they point it out as a very, very rare risk and that we should not worry about it. I now make a point of reminding people who are having a biopsy to check they will ge given and have received A/B's as there can be mistakes made.  My other concern is many Medics are not fully aware of the signs of Sepsis and NHS out of hours numbers would have left me to die as I  they failed to check if I had the possibility of Sepsis especially after being told I had a Prostate Biopsy the day before, and that should have set alarm bells ringing.

My symptoms were Sickness, Sweating, Blood from my Anus, Penis and Nose. Blurred vision, I could not read a number plate in front of me while being taken to hospital, splitting head ache and starting to talk rubbish. Everything in my body was shutting down and I did not remember the next 3 days in High Dependency unit.  Anybody with anything like this get to A&E fast.

David

• Posted

#$%^hell David, you were lucky to get to hospital and some one take you very seriously. 

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.