Do I need a cardiologist?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I definitely need to leave the cardiologist I've had up until now because she has turned slightly 'punishing' towards me because of my intolerance to statins.

She is even saying she may have to take what she called 'drastic measures' and send me for LDL atheresis which one must go through every 2 weeks I guess for the rest of one's life. This is like dialysis but they're cleaning out the cholesterol.

At any rate I'm wondering now if I really need a cardiologist at all. It's a good thing I guess to have the electrocardiogram and echo tests done regularly.

She prescribed Repatha. I had one shot of it and woke up the next morning with the most massive and excruciating back pain I've ever experienced in my life. The cardiologist's reaction? She's never heard of Repatha causing that. In other words I'm either exaggrating or outright lying. She referred to me (with a smile) as a 'complicated' person.

So our relationship has taken a turn for the worse and I know that it's going to continue in this fashion so I am opting to change cardiologists.

But do I need one. That's what I'm pondering right now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had to come off statins due to muscle wastage which was getting very bad to the point people I knew were commenting on my weight loss. I didnt realise until one day I saw my reflection in a shop window, that was 2014. I was on them six months. I also felt very ill in that time frame too. Whatever statin we use even Repatha surely uses the same pathway in our liver and so the same side effects will occur. They always say they havent heard of side effects. Its easier for them to dish these things out. My family member works in the chemist industry and has said this has side effects.

I dont check my cholesterol now. Knowing my numbers would be horrendous for me. I eat well, cycle 80 miles or more per week and I think my body needs cholesterol for repair. You have to decide for yourself what to do Im afraid.

• Posted

sorry to add I did self refer to cardio in uk and had a stress echo done which was good but its not definitive answer but I was happy I had it done. The angiogram is better but was too scared to do that.

• Posted

Hi Sue and thank you for sharing your story with me. What a horrendous experience for you. We who are intolerant to statins have to stick together and support one another because most of the medical profession won't and will treat us like hypochondriacs or worse.

I have no intention of allowing anyone to put me on cholesterol medication. And the case I read of online where the person went for LDL atheresis was someone who had had multiple heart attacks and surgeries and a cholesterol level of 500. Mine is 310 but I'm choosing to save myself from the agony caused by statins. Someone on here mentioned Cholestoff which I may try. Of course the cardiologist practically sneered at the mention of this supplement. But I won't consider her opinion valid now that I know she is 'owned' by Big Pharma and brainwashed by them, to the point that she has all kinds of cold judgmental attitude towards someone who is resistant to a pharmaceutical product; and that is why I won't be seeing her again.

The question for me is do I even go to a cardiologist or is this something I can dispense with. My echocardiogram showed a 'strong heart' and my electrocardiogram was good.

• Posted

Thats good your tests were ok. Heart disease does show on these tests, I just do not think drs like us knowing alot about our conditions for some reason. I dont know if you are post meno like me but I have read alot of information that says statins do not work the same for women and it is lack of oestrogen that affects us after menopause. Periods seem to protect us. It annoys me how some people it anything they want do no exercise but have low cholesterol. Try to limit carbs and sugar and see if that helps x

• Posted

Diane,

Your cardiologist sounds so arrogant. I could not deal with someone like her, I could not respect her or her views.

My GP last week was trying to put me on statins as, in his opinion I am in danger due to my high cholesterol reading. I believe cholesterol will find it's own level, sometimes the body may need more than at other times, some families have a high level, some a lower level. I do think it is dangerous to interrupt natural bodily functions.

My husbands cardiac rehab nurse scared me when he said magnesium causes heart arrhythmia, his lack of knowledge about magnesium is worrying, he was quoting one incident whereby a women was give a ridiculous amount of magnesium in a trial. Magnesium strengthens the heart muscle.

Stick to your beliefs, what is best for you after all, it is your body.

• Posted

Jen . . . I appreciate your support and thank you for responding. It's good for me to hear a more holistic attitude like yours which is that cholesterol runs different in different families and that the levels vary with each person.

I know very well the problems that immediately ensue when I'm put on a statin because I've tried them all which is ridiculous because the doctors should have know that if one statin gives me joint and tendon pain then they all will. But these medical professionals if they choose to can really shake one's faith and make one doubt their own experience, to the degree that now I don't have that inner conviction that I used to about the pain caused me by statins. And that's why I value the support of others.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.