Do I need a second opinion?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I initially went to my PCP for body aches and fatigue x2 weeks.  Had lab work which came back positive for Anti CCP of 55.. negative RF, negative ESR, CRP. 

Saw Rheumatology who basically said I have a 50/50 chance of getting RA and that I "shouldn't worry about it right now." 

Side note: hurt my thumb and placed on Mobic and feel much better...stopped Mobic and my body aches came back so the rheumatologist put me on Mobic for 2 months and then follow up with him.

I just feel uneasy that he didn't seem too concerned.  All the newer literature states that a positive Anti-CCP is very indicative of developing RA and I seem to have some early onset symptoms.

I'm only 34F so I feel like I'd like to be ambitious with it If it's probably going to turn out to be RA.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of approach or have you been more aggressive?

thank you in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello alexandra

I am 60 yrs old or (young) now and ive had R.A. for 18 yrs so slightly older than you when starting with pain etc. It took 2 yrs of messing about before i was put on humira injections with methotrexate. And my painkillers codeine and parecetomol. It was a wonderdrug for me after trials i was first person in cumbria on it. From bedridden to back at work in building trade in 3 weeks unbelievable eh. But true. Im now looking for a change as my body has become used to drug so not effective. Its the pain thats worst so looking now at something that has good reviews.CBD oil but the proper tackle not from shops etc. So hetes hopeing. In answer to your question yes you do need a 2nd opinion but go private by ( recommendation) then if consultant is any good you'l go straight to NHS. Dont be fobbed off. Stand your ground fight your corner but most of all stay positive and as hard as it is keep an iron will. You will get better. Take care and stay safe

Garry

• Posted

Well this is exactly me, I'm 34 too but at 32 I started with a swollen knee then it disappeared no reason why my mum had RA my only test positive was anti ccp at 34 all other results negative they've said the same to me e.g as long as I don't have swollen joints don't worry do u have RA in your family ? 

• Posted

Yes, my maternal Aunt had severe RA.  He said that since it wasn't my mother that it really isn't that concerning or put me at that great of a risk.

Did you have any other symptoms besides your knee?

• Posted

No but I feel tired easily and when I get a cold or run down I literally feel like I've regularly got the flu ...I'm sure it's the ccp, I also have started with some throbbing in arms and legs etc which is worse at night at times I wonder if I have fibro, my mum has severe RA but I'm fortunate I see the same rheumatologist as her. I know certain things like gluten wheat and coffee make me feel worse I hope this helps but I only take neurofen now and again I hate the thought of meds x

• Posted

Have you tried eliminating the inflammatory foods from your diet? This might sound like a big call but i believe diet plays a big part in it. (Remember doctors dont study this aspect of health so they dont have any expertise in this area, even though they say they know diet makes no difference in RA. Strikes me as odd!) . Removing grains, seed oils and nightshade vegetables as well as all processed foods from your diet for a few days may well give you some improvements. Eat simply. Dairy would be the next foods to remove if that doesn't help. Eat more animal fat from grassfed animals (for omegsa 3 fatty acids , conventional grown meat is not a healthy choice too many omega 6 fatty acids - they are the inflammatory guys) . Don't be scared it won't make you fat. I've had a high fat diet for 8 years and I'm slim and toned and i never *work out* (previously I've weighed close to 90kg, I'm now 59kg) this is what happens when your food is right for your body. Animal fat and coconut oil are best for cooking. Olive hemp or flaxseed oil for dressings . Diet change definitely helped in my case and for other folk I know that did this :-) stay away from fruit for a few days also, too much fructose (which is not good when you're inflamed) and caffeine and alcohol. But don't be scared to eat animal fat and protein. It's healing to the body. I recommend the Weston H Price foundation website for some good information regarding diet. BTW I didn't need to take their drugs at all, I've been pain free since the diet which also fixed my IBS and low back pain. Good luck with it all !

• Posted

I completely agree with you everything you say I believe I eat very healthy and believe food allergies or even just sensitivities provoke pain x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.