Do I need an Implantable loop recorder ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - a few months ago I had a period of several weeks where I would wake up feeling really dizzy and ill, something like seasickness, my GP suggested mild labrynthitis.

Then one day whilst asleep in the sun on the deck in the garden I woke up on the floor with a gash to my head, no idea how I got there and the GP said he had no idea but didn't seem too worried, on one other occasion I woke up on the floor next to the bed ... again no idea how I got there. This time the doctor referred me to the local cardio dept. - I had a 24 heart monitor an ECG and echo cardiogram and blood tests with no results to worry about but they now suggest I have an Implantable loop recorder fitted, I really don't think I like this idea especially as I haven't had any dizzy spells for a couple of months.

Anyone any observations please ?

Many thanks for taking the time.

Roger

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roger,I m sorry you have had a bad time,I have always been aware of my dizziness even when I had a bad attack and couldn't t stand up I was still awake through it.if you havn t had any dizzy spells lately,I would ask a few more questions as to why they want to fit it,I have never heard of that procedure.if you re not keen to have it done for whatever reason don t get it. Done.through my years of the doctors not knowing what was wrong with me they suggest things they think might work meanwhile it's you who has to suffer all the after effects of the procedures and then you re still know better.i m not a doctor so you need to ask why they want to do it,what side effects is there,and what is the chance of it working,I know it's not the best thing to do search out some information online,I know there's a lot of mis information but it might help get your round what they re wanting to do.good luck 
  • Posted

The implantable loop recorder (ILR) is a subcutaneous, single-lead, electrocardiographic (ECG) monitoring device used for diagnosis in patients with recurrent unexplained episodes of palpitations or syncope, for long-term monitoring in patients at risk for or with documented atrial fibrillation (AF), and for risk stratification in patients who have sustained a myocardial infarction (MI) and those who have certain genetic disorders.

Because the doctor thinks there may a something going on with your heart, this is a setup to capture the heart activity.  You could possibly sit up and pass out due to low blood pressure or something more serious, and this will help diagnose it.

Most people who are very active can experience some lightheadedness when they first stand up because their heart is at a resting pace and the sudden movement causes a small lack of blood pressure that is manifested in the feeling of dizziness or lightheadedness.  If you go along with the doctor you might find out that you are experiencing exactly that.  

It is not all that invasive, and it could prove to be invaluable in the diagnostic of your "blackouts".

Meanwhile, if I were you I would pad the edges of things and put up a barrier to rolling out of bed or falling from the edge and hitting my head.  Hitting your head in a free fall is a very dangerous thing to have happen.

Take great care of yourself and we'll get back to you.

ben

• Posted

Thank you all for your contributions and Ben good of you to explain the 'loop' gadget. I did undrstand the point of the device and did have a very helpful session with an excellent nurse in the cardio unit in Bournemouth - I am just a little concerned that the diagnosis (ie that my heart has a problem which caused the syncope) was a little quick and that the insertion of the monitor a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Whilst it is a useful diagnostic device I wonder if other reasons for the feinting (labrynthitits) have been explored ?

Roger

• Posted

Hi Roger,

In response to your question about treatment etc. I've had blackouts when I was a child but had not had any in my adult life until July. I had a blackout and crashes my car with no apparent cause as to why, I visited my GP who was not interested in bloods etc but referred me to neurology. I went back and requested blood tests and had these which came back clear. I had an ECG in my GP surgery flagging up nothing. Of course I was told to stop driving which was difficult as I drive and work for the ambulance service, quite ironic really. I visited the neurologist who ruled out epilepsy but requested that I have a EEG (light sensitivity test) which was negative. I was cleared to drive my own car but unable to drive at work.

i have now been passed to cardiology after having another ECG and a echocardiogram I'm none the wiser , I've been referred for another test and onto have a monitor inserted like you mentioned which I am positive about.

i see your post was a while ago now but wondered what the outcome of your conundrum was or if your still in the dark as such.

Many Thanks

Luke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.