Do I need Carbimazole or not?

Posted , 2 users are following.

TSH 0.09

T3 4.8

T4 13.1

1 gp says it’s fine. One referred me to endocrinologist. Found a goitre I can’t see and some nodules. Waiting for a biopsy. Put on Carbimazole 5mg by endo.

a bit puzzled. Do I need it? Feel nauseous and bloated. Could that be side effects of medication? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Armelle, if these results are UK ones the definitely not!! These are too low for carbimazole! Please however get a second opinion from a medical professional. I take carbimazole when my thyroid levels are too high! Hope this helps? Ask away if not. I too have nodules and Graves x
    • Posted

I have a range of issues and my gp thinks sometimes, this can affect thyroid. I do feel a pressure behind my eyes though and i have lost quite a bit of weight. But I thought, if I have a slightly enlarged thyroid and some nodules, that meant I had a hyperactive thyroid. The more I read on here, the more confused I am. I am always thirsty and my hands tremble. 
    • Posted

Yes they are. Funnily enough, I feel better this morning. I have been on these pills for a week now.
    • Posted

Wow I really have no idea why you'd be on carbimazole for these results. 

• Posted

Well, I found out today that my readings are typical of subclinical hyperthyroidism. So low dose Carbimazole is the right treatment. 
    • Posted

I'm totally shocked and never heard of this before. Sounds like they're just reading your TSH. I would look up Elaine Moore she's amazing with her advice.

• Posted

Received the endo letter with recent readings.

TSH .0.18 range 0.30 - 5.00

T4 13.4  range 10.00 - 18.70

T3. 5.7. Range 2.50 -5.50

it confirms T3 thyrotoxicosis.

so I am reading all about that. A minefield

• Posted

I would ask my endo about the need for carbi and those symptoms or side effects. My experience says TSH is too low, T4 is too high, and no idea about the T3 number (don't know the free-T3 range, if it is). So carbi might be needed for hyper symptoms if you suffer. BTW, 5mg is a low dose. Just my 2c.

• Posted

All was revealed by endo. I have subclinical hyperthyroidism whereby TSH is too low and T3 and 4 are normal. Treatment is Carbimazole low dose. I feel nauseous on that though but it is a side effect and should go in time. I’ve only been on it for a week.
    • Posted

Only just realised i’ve already Posted that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.