do i need it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my first panic attack last friday and after a weekend of severe anxiety with multiple panic attacks a day, I was diagnosed with GAD and prescribed 20mg citalopram on monday. Since then, I've been staying with family and my anxiety levels have dropped significantly despite me only taking 3 pills so far. Everything i've read leads me to believe the citalopram should take 2 weeks minimum to enter my system, so, i'm concerned that i'm feeling better without it and i'm worried about what i will feel like in a couple of weeks if i continue to take the pills. Is it possible they're affecting me already? Should I stop taking them if I no longer feel anxious? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claireem, my advise would be to continue to take the Citalopram, they won't have done anything yet but of course I'm glad your anxiety levels have dropped, staying with family is a good idea especially if you generally live alone, company and someone to chat and talk to is a big distraction. 

Taking the Citalopram when you feel okay won't effect anything assuming your not getting any side effects, you'll just feel ok, maybe see how you feel in a months time and if you feel your ok abd don't need them then speak to your GP about coming off them.

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Neil, thank you for your response! I think I will continue to take them, I'm not experiencing any huge side effects, other than a little bit of insomnia, so i don't have a lot to lose. 

• Posted

I began to feel better shortly after beginning Citalopram as well. Not sure if it was a placebo effect or what but I definitely needed to take them. My doctor started me out on 10mg. while I got them into my system to help minimize side effects then at about week 6 we decided an increase was in order as although I had improved I felt like I could use a stronger dosage. It took me about 3 1/2 months to get the full effect to where I was my old self again but suffice it to say Citalopram has made a huge difference for me. I have now been on them about 6 months and can't even begin to think about where I would be had I not started Citalopram. If I can be of any help or encouragement feel free to PM me.

• Posted

It's not good to be playing Russian roulette with such powerful meds....always consult ur physician...take care

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

I agree with what the others have said. Make sure you take Citalopram everyday, I take mine every morning just before breakfast. My GP advised me that it can take 4-6 weeks for it to have an impact and fully get into my system. The side effects can be grim but power through and if you're not getting them thats great. I would stick with the meds for now and then re-evaluate in a few months. Keep going, here if you need to talk smile x

• Posted

I did feel different in the first week in a weird sort of way so they maybe helping, plus the placebo like others have said but we are all different. However they dont work propery for a few weeks and any side effects will subside/reduce so dont give up.

My attitude is do everything slowly, give a few weeks to evaluate any changes. Also exercise (stuff like gym and walking) helps me lots with anxiety, unburnt energy seems to fuel anxiety with me.

• Posted

Have not had one for years now but personally found with panic/anxiety attacks being aware of your thoughts is important and correctly challenging them, so a councillor would help I think
  • Posted

Hi   Definitely continue taking them I can remember many years ago when I was going through a really bad spell my doctor at that time gave me antidepressants as soon as I walked out of the surgery I felt amazing I had not even taken any ! I have been on Citalopram for several years now as I was suffering from Agoraphobia and Panic Attacks they take at least 3 wks to have any effect mine took a bit longer than that but they do work I am on 20mg and I do not have the panic attacks now hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.