do i need to go to hospital?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a PE twice in the last three years.  I am on Warafin and just had my INR done a few days ago.  It was in the good range.  I am experiencing a slight difficulty breathing and a slight heaviness in my chest and upper back.  i just had a physical 2 days ago and doctor said lungs sound clear.  It started a few days before this visit and I coughed up a tiny blood clot while brushing my teeth in the sink.  The heaviness tonight is more noticable and slight difficulty breathing.  I'm not in any pain. My concern is if I go to the hospital my copays for the ct they would have to do is very expensive.  Do I just hold off until it starts to feel even worse and I have pain?  Will the warafin I'm on take care of this on it's own?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am in the UK so I suppose I don't even think about cost, however with all the symptoms you describe I would be heading straight to the hospital, Doctor at the very least for an assessment since you've had lots of tests recently.

Don't mess with your health, you only get one life.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. Curious what is your health care like there that you say you don't have to worry about it.
    • Posted

Ksun

What Mackerrs means is he does not have to worry about paying for medical expenses because in the UK England health care is free and available to everyone without payment or co pays or paying for health insurance.    Most of Europe has socialized medicine where health care is availabe to everyone.

As Macckerrs advises we think you should go to a hospital

• Posted

Need to hear more about your all your circumstances hours/days/weeks prior to feeling unwell
  • Posted

Hi Ksun

I think you have to go to the hospital and check this whole thing out.  Something is amiss.  I am sorry you have to be concerned about the money but its "your money or your life"

• Posted

Ksun,

It's a tough one to call and you need a qualified physician to make that call....which means hospital or doctor.

You don't say if you second PE happened whilst you were taking warfarin. If it was, get down the hospital immediately. 

Sensations in the chest are quite common post PE and wouldn't worry me, but I have not heard of coughing up blood. So again, you need to get checked out.

It will probably turn out to be a false alarm, but will save you days of worrying.

All the best

Peter

• Posted

Peter, I take it you've personally experienced lots of clots in your chest,

and that's the reason your not worried.

• Posted

That is correct.  A considerable number of very large clots across both lungs. Numerous clots also hit the pleura....which is excrutiatingly painful.

I am not entirely sure what you are insinuating, but I speak from experience However, since I am not medically qualified, so I recommended seeking medical attention no less than three times. To say I am "not worried" is risible.

I nearly died a few months back, but prefer to look on the positive side and not obsess over it.  I get a multitude of sensations in my chest every day, because of the large number of clots and scarring I now have. If I let those sensations worry me, I would be a wreck.

So, to paraphrase my original reponse:

Get checked by a professional and try not to worry about sensations in you chest.

"A" or whatever yourname is - try to move on from your illness and not obsess about it. It's not healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.