Do I need to see a doctor

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have had HS for 20 years now. Today I had a flare up and the abscess has now burst but I now have a hole about 4cm wide, it is very painful. Do I need to see a doctor to get some antibiotics? Or will keeping it clean and covered heal it? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Clare. My name is Nicole. I've had hs for a little over 5 years going on 6. I've had my fair share of holes/wounds so I totally understand how much pain you are in. My hs was diagnosed by a dermatologist. Before I was sent to see a dermatologist the physician I was seeing at the time was at a loss to what was going on with my armpits, she tried giving me antibiotics for it and at one point it didn't work hard enough and then she had tried another one and it helped but then it stopped helping. Antibiotics don't work for my hs. In my opinion, antibiotics are just used to try and smooth things out with the hs but it can't sure hs. Hs as we all know is incurable, unfortunately. When I get holes and they are bothering me pain and/or irritated I keep them covered with a gauze pad and pain free sensitive tape. I keep them covered until they aren't bothering me anymore and by that time they are on their way to being fully healed. They heal faster when I keep them covered. Sometimes, even though they are kept covered they can still hurt due to the area being raw but it stops eventually. If it hurts enough in the beginning while I'm keeping them covered I will take the gauze pad and tape off and let it breath overnight and recover it during the day. I haven't had to do it for some time but if I'm in enough pain with the hs I take Tylenol to help with the pain. It doesn't take the pain away but it helps you stay comfortable-ish. Since the hs causes inflammation and Turmeric helps that immensely I also take 4 Turmeric capsules a day. It keeps my hs at bay and calm. Taking that is a godsend. I get it at The Herbal Path store where I live. I hope I was able to help you. Good luck and take care of yourself! If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help! Have a good day!

• Posted

Happy to learn of your HS calming down with Turmeric!

I read the following line you wrote, "Hs as we all know is incurable, unfortunately"

I just wanted to offer you this. I suffered with HS for 15 yrs. Took tons of antibiotics, 2 courses of accutane, got steroid shots, underwent a few surgeries I hit rock bottom and my HS was at its worst. I then went the holistic route. 5 yrs of 'classical homeopathy'. I'm in reremission now. So it's possible to heal this.

When my HS triggers present themselves, occasionally, I end up getting some inflamation or discharge, but nothing much. It settles on it's own. Doesn't impact my life!

Good luck! Hope you find more things that can help you heal. smile

• Posted

Hi Clare!  I usually apply a very warm compress during and after the abscess has burst. For me, the pain is at its worst right before the eruption.  I continue to do bleach bathes every other day as well.  I don’t really go to the dermatologist when this happens, unless it’s really bad. I continue my current treatment plan.  However, I do see my dermatologist every 3 months for ongoing care.  If you’re not treating with a dermatologist regularly, you may want to start. Do a google search for doctors that specialize in HS in your area.  Hoping you feel better soon!
  • Posted

How are you doing now?

If I were in your place, I would see how the HS site behaves for a few days. See what my body is telling me.

If you run a temperature, that would probably be a sign of mild secondary infection. So visiting a dr would be a wise thing to do.. Antibiotics don't help HS in the long run. But can help provide relief and clear up secondary infections, during a specific episode.

I had HS for 15yrs and am in remission now. Some people have gone into remission with dietary changes alone (like following the AIP diet.) I went into remission with 'classical homeopathy' treatment. (Conventional treatment made matters worse for me, in the long run.)

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.