Do I need to stop drinking??? I have drug dependencies

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've recently become terrified of the long term effects of alcohol.

I'm an 18 year old male and have been getting drunk once a night for two years. I only drink to get drunk which is usually 10 drinks.

However, what I'm really worried about is, when I was 17, I would drink about 5 shots of Vodka 3 to 4 days of the week, for 2 months straight, I stopped that and then used benzos for a week or 2. On top of that I smoked weed once a week, and was also on 90 mg of mirtazapine everyday (which I've stopped)

I had no idea how unhealthy this was...I'm worried the effects might be starting to show now. 

around 4 months ago Alcohol lost its euphoric effect, it just makes me feel sick and dizzy, (at around 10 drinks)

My friends say I look tired all the time (Which I hate) but this could be due to being sleep deprived. However, I noticed alcohol reeeally upsets my stomach now. Especially the day after with terrible diarrhoea. THIS NEVER USED TO HAPPEN. 

Have i developed a fatty liver???? 

I want to substitute alcohol for different drugs. like a small amount of mdma once a month, codeine and benzos, in a routine and responsibly so my body isn't hurt too much. I have taken a lot of benzo's and valium in my life. Is this a stupid alternative? are these drugs worse for your health is low amounts? have the first signs of liver damage kicked in? Do I stay away from alcohol completely now? what are the signs that I need to stop drinking? 

I know my use of alcohol isn't too bad but on top of alot of other drugs and antidepressants idk.  

please help because I'm terrified of one day doing irreversible damage. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello mate, what is done is done. A lot is reversible or at the least, not made worse if you try and get a hold of your habits. The dodgy belly would be a side affect of halting any opiates (inc Codine) , and typically a day or two after you stop Drinking.

I'm not going to patronise you with the age thing, too much stuff in your body that early needs to be looked at and you did well to come on here.

There is only a very slim chance of coming off these straight away, you have already had one sign of detox. I would recommend keeping a strict true record of what you take and when (How much? What Is It?) Then you could look at a safe way of cutting back.

I know what it's like to want everything and all of it. Needing a fix of something. Don't be so scared of being you or at least finding out who the real you is. Sounds like you have been bang on it for so long that your persona IS Drink and Drugs? You deserve, and would do well to get some further help with these problems dude. I don't mean AA but there are plenty of good help out there, where are you based? UK.USA.  AL

• Posted

If alcohol is making you sick and you’re not enjoying any benefit from it, definitely stop drinking it.  No one on this site can tell if you’ve developed a fatty liver only a doctor can do that.  I would suggest seeing your doctor and being completely honest with him.  There are step down strategies that will help you reduce safely.  Use your current terror to make some changes.  A young body will recover much easier and faster than those of us over 50.  Good luck to you, we are here for moral support. 🙏😀

• Posted

It's great that you're becoming aware of this now and thinking about turning things around. Benzos and booze are a really bad combo, although benzos can be used for withdrawal from alcohol. Are you in the US? 

• Posted

Hello Got. Seems a lot of regular drinks and benzos since you were 17. Your doctor? Parents aware? I suppose not. Perhaps admit to these problems would be best, if you have the courage. Drinks cheap where you live? Just wondering.. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.