Do I need to up dose?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking 10mg of citalopram since mid November. I was doing a lot better but suddenly I'm experiencing sore jaw and teeth. I'm sure I must be grinding them in my sleep. Intrusive thoughts have returned also I feel scared all the time and thinking and fearing death a lot. Obviously the current situation isn't helping. Has anyone got any advice or experienced anything similar? I'm better on the meds than not so want to stick with them, I think I may need to increase the dose but I'm don't think I'll be able to handle the horrendous side affects again. Has anyone been in a similar position? I would really appreciate some advice x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

my advice would be to stick with 10mg for now because blips can still happen even though you've been on them a while. give it a week or two more to see if passes or improves. if not then consider going up to 20mg or maybe even 15mg.

the side effects wont be as bad or last as long increasing as when you first started because you've been on them for a little while now so it's not too much of a shock to your system increasing x hope that helps

• Posted

i'm heading into week 10 of a small increase which put me at 10mg a day and am experiencing a wrotter of a blip! i panic, just like you, and start to think should i increase my dose but i think the answer is to 'wait' this out and give it time. scary how the negative thoughts jump back, too but the key is to not react i guess....push through, just as Potato said. are you feeling any better?

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, you have put me at ease. I was in a really bad place before the meds and it took a while for them to settle. When I feel I am taking a step back and that they aren't working I panic as really can't go back to where I was before. I actually feel a bit better today ill keep pushing through. Thanks so much, I hope you are feeling a bit better too.

• Edited

hi

think we all have that fear of going backwards as that's how a blip can make you feel. we need to ride through it and usually, they pass. i don't really want to increase as I don't want more side effects so i'm hoping i can level out at 10mg but i guess time will tell. it's certainly a long journey. were you up and down during your 6 months on them?

• Edited

Hey

have a question

do u all get headache and sinus pain ? Or maybe never got does

I'm on beginning of month 7 and are having them few days on and then a few days nothing or very low

still get anxiety and crying spells and upset intestinal problems , anyone ??

Please let me know , thanks

• Posted

It initially took a while for the side effects to settle but once they did I felt a lot better, this is the first real blip I've had in the last 6 months where I've felt I've taken a step back. I get scared I'm going to feel like this forever and that life is passing me by as I'm not fully living it. I also get worried my young daughter will inherit this illness, I can't bare to think that she would ever feel this way. I honestly wouldn't wish this on anyone. Ive been up and down since I was 19 with anxiety and depression I'm now 34, I'm going to stick with the meds, Ive wasted enough time. I just want to feel 'normal' it certainly is a long road and a bumpy one at that. I can understand you not wanting to up your dose, I'm exactly the same. I really hope you level out and that you see an improvement soon , best of luck x

• Posted

hi

how are you feeling now? you say you're not living life - do you mean during your blip? i know what you mean when you say that - in that it does stop me being me and i tend to withdraw from life a little.

• Posted

Hi

Same really just that I don't feel like myself at times, i tend to withdraw from life too. Ive actually felt a bit better today so I'm hopeful this is just a blip and that I'll be feeling brighter again soon, the meds do keep me afloat. Hope you are ok too

• Posted

that's a good sign if you're starting to feel better again - it just knocks your confidence for a bit doesn't it until you start the incline of feeling gradually better. i've not been too bad but woke today with awful churning but am due my period this weekend and it seems to knock me sideways at the moment - really over thinking and jittery x

• Edited

Hi

u at the same month as me and time

I'm on only 5 MG Celexa as of November 2019

I still think of death and have anxiety and crying spells

also bad headache and sinus pain u get does ?

Bad dreams that wake me up with my heart raising and giving me anxiety

going to stay on 5 MG like Dr told me to and also told me to wait it out on the 5 MG

so I don't think u should up ur meds just wait on it to get better it will

like u I don't want to up the meds the side effects are so bad and many

also anxiety will rise up again , but call ur Dr and let them know u going though this

it helps to have it on ur file. Hope I could be at help at all

• Edited

Yes I get bad headaches and very vivid dreams, I usually have really bad anxiety in the mornings but settles more as the day goes on.

I will wait it out, I think it's maybe the lockdown and everything that's going on in the world that has triggered this bad spell. I Hope your side effects settle and that you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Hey there

thanks for ur response back

ur headaches and sinus stay all day and the tylonal does not work on it is that how it works for u ????

I have it again today with anxiety 😡 can't wait for all this to go and be me again . Yes it's a slow working up and down meds and it is scary on top of it because the anxiety thoughts tell u other wise , like brain cancer or tumor and so on . Then comes the fear and it goes up nail I get to the point of crying still . All this 2 weeks in on month 7

do u only get headaches or sinus to ? Yes mornings are still ruff for me to some days good and them bam not so good

hope to get to hear back from u thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.