Do I need to worry about these lymph nodes?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi my names chris I’m 16 and currently studying my GCSE’s. A few months back I noticed 2 lymph nodes that I could feel in my neck. One under my jaw and the under behind my neck just under my hair line (pretty sure it’s called an occitpal lynph node). I went to the doctors who ordered me for blood tests for anaemia which I didn’t bother going to as I know for a fact I’m not anaemic. At 13 I had to get my tonsils out as  I was consistently getting tonsillitis multiple times a year. As of recently I’ve had no colds and these lymph nodes are still there. They are both moveable and rubbery, no pain and are roughly around the 0.7-1.2 cm range it’s hard to properly tell. At this size and with no other symptoms like night sweats etc should I worry about them or are they too small and have they stayed due to my tonsillitis when I was younger?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You should always check with a doctor but it probably isn't anything serious. The internet will always say it is something bad like lymphoma, but in reality everyone will get random palpable nodes anywhere on there bodies with no actual cause. I have had one on my jaw line for over year, and doctors don't really seem to care. Normally it is only a concern is the lymph nodes continue to grow over the months or already at a large size, most doctors will be concerned with lymph nodes that are 1 inch (2.5cm) in diameter which yours are not. It is also good you are not experiencing other symptoms, as most people with something serious might not necessarily get night sweats but just feel weak and suffer from fatigue. However only a doctor can diagnose you, however they will probably just say to you what they said to me which is there is 'nothing to worry about.' 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply I think I’m gonna leave them unless they start to grow 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.