Do I really have depression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey Guys,

Ok let me explain. Sorry for the long post

I went to my GP about 3 months ago because I was extremley sad. I often have/had feelings that i wanted to kill myself and thought of different ways to do it. A friend told me i needed to see a GP. So i went and she said i was depressed and i might have a personality dissorder.

She put me on prozac but about 3 weeks later took me of it because it was making me quite aggitated.

She then put me on Mirtazapine 15mg a day. After about 4 weeks she upped the dose to 30mg tablet a day. I have been taking this for must be about 7-8 weeks now, and i havent really noticed any difference in the way i feel.

I am currently aswell seeing a support worker and am going to be having CBT soon for my personality disorder. I have been thinking lately maybe i dont have depression at all and thats why the mirtazapine is not doing anything. It's just the PD making me feel really sad. I sometimes feel really low like i want to die and other times so happy i walk around singing.

I don't understand. Anyone?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I just wanted to drop you a few lines as I read your posting just this morning. I too feel exactly the same way as yourself. The times I have just sat down wondering whether it is all worth it. As for the Prozac, been there done that and I was on them for several years too. I was really scared of the long term effects with this drug so I asked to change. I was given the drug Fluoxitine and it seemed to be ok.My moods where still very much up and down as they have been for a long time now. I convinced myself at one stage that you pop a pill and feel better was all just psychological.Im waiting for these new tablets to have some sort of effect. It's been 13 days now and the only positive thing that has come out of them is the appetite increase and the weight gain. I am on a waiting list to see counsellor number two. Everything is a waiting game.How are you getting on with your support worker? I have found counselling sessions to be helpful but the minute you walk out the door I tended to find my depression worsened.
  • Posted

Thanks Trudyb

I am seeing my docter in an hour or so and am going to ask if i should keep taking the mirtazapine as i havent really noticed any difference in my mood.

It's actually quite nice to have a support worker, i have weekly appointments with him, we don't really do much though in these meetings just talk. But its nice to know he is there.

He has arranged for me to have CBT and i have a appointment next week to see if i will get taken on.

I just don't understand if i do actually have depression because if i did wouldn't the mirtazapine of lifted my mood by now.

• Posted

Hi again, Im trying to pm you but dont know how to do it so im getting stressed out all over again! sad Just wondering how it went with your doc xx
  • Posted

Unfortunately trudyb2008, you can only PM or Email registered forum members.

lou11 is currently not a registered member and can only use the site with guest status. If you register lou11 - then you can contact each other.

• Posted

Thanks for thinking about me trudyb.

It went ok at the doc yesterday, she thinks i should keep taking the mirtazapine so i guess i will keep taking it. I see my support worker yesterday and i need it this week. Had a bad night last night, got very very very very drunk, passed out and ended up in A+E. Not good, for some reason i tend to go out and drink drink drink when im down.

• Posted

Hey Trudyb,

Just a quick note --- you say that your doc changed you from Prozac to fluoxetine --- Prozac is a brand name for fluoxentine, (i.e. he gave you the same drug, just called it by its generic name). I'm not pointing this out to undermine your post in any way, just merely to say that it is sometimes a bad thing to have too much information, esp concerning poss side effects. I tend to do the same thing -- get a new med, and instantly look at the (usually long!) list of side effects. --- While it's good to be informed, I know I sometimes get a little preoccupied with trying to spot symptoms that prob really arent there. As I'm sure you know, the list of poss side effects for Mirtazapine is no less huge than for most other antidepressants, and its always a bit disconcerting changing meds, but I know for me it helped to try and keep as objective a head on as possible when deciding whether this drug was actually of help to me. Overall, I find it pretty useful, more for my panic attacks than my depression, but at the mo, I think I'm more comfortable trying to live with my depression with reduced panic and anxiety, rather than the other way around.....

Anyways, thats my bit, hope the mirtazapine works out for you, and I would just say try to keep somewhat objective when reviewing its effect, positive or otherwise, on your wellbeing

Take care

Richard

• Posted

Hi Lou. I cant believe you ended up in A+E you poor thing. I am not trying to be your mum and I know you know all this but drinking in excess when you are taking any kind of medication is not good. I really dont mean to have a go and you dont need it but you dont want to end up dead mate. Can you do me a favour and register with this site so then I can PM you. I have been getting steadily worse on these new medication so much so that today has just been unbearable. I have had a major CBT and Im just hoping he can help me. I have been told that I am an absolute nightmare to live with and if I dont get help soon my partner says he will become ill so then he will be unable to help me.Absolutely everything has got to me today even the stupidist of things. This page took ages to load and I nearly threw the thing out the window! The Guinea Pigs are squeaking and I cant deal with it ! Certain things on the tv are totally winding me up and Im tempted to reach for a damn bottle! I know im slapping your wrists about thew drink but at least im being honest! Just do me the favour of joining lou and we can cry together.It does help writing down how you feel xx
  • Posted

Hi trudyb

I have now signed up so you can pm me now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.