Do i sound overmedicated?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I think I might be over medicated, I'm hypo.  I've been on unithroid for 8 weeks this week and in the past week i've been feeling bad.  I call me endo this morning and have an appt on friday and labs tomorrow.  I'm having symptoms of anxiety, nervousness, headache in the forheard, jittery,(like i'm on speed, very irratible, bad moods, dizzy, feel like I want to crawl out of my skin, have a hard time sleeping well.  I know in the past few months I've been having some problems, I had steriod injections in the base of skull and tops of my shoulders, this was during the time about 4-5 months ago when the endo put me back on levoyl, well things went totally nuts in my system, it was as if I had not taken my meds, but i had.  the endo thinks it may have beent he steriods, i guess they can kill the thyroid meds in the body.  I was having awful panic attacks every day and anxiety off the charts.  So he changed my meds to unithroid about 8 weeks ago and in the past week as i said, the above symptoms have been getting worse.  I keep telling myself its my anxiety and i'm causing it all to happen,  I feel so stressed and I don't know why.  I know I have GAD and it about my health but I'm trying so hard and the stress is just there.   

Do this sound over medicated to anyone? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patty, from my experience, these symptoms can be any of the following:

1) being over-meditated

2) having increased the dose too quickly so your body doesn't have time to adjust

3) the unithroid thyroid medication not suiting you

• Posted

I meant to add

So I'm glad youve got an appointment with the endo to investigate

• Posted

The sooner it's investigated the sooner youll feel better. In the meantime, try not to worry, it's most likely to be that you are on too high a dose and that it needs reducing a little. It's horrible being over medicated but it's unlikely to do you any harm for the short time you've been so. Anxiety is most definitely one of the symptoms of being over medicated (which you'll find people referring to colloquially as hyperthyroid (technically hypothyroid means a person whose thyroid gland is producing too much of the thyroid hormones). However, the symptoms are the same whether one is getting too much thyroid hormone from one's body or from tablets. Hang in there, you'll start feeling better a few days after the dose is reduced.

On Friday the endo is likely to request a blood test, so it is best to not take your thyroid tablets until after the test, else it will give an artificially high reading and you'll be asked to reduce the dose too much, which will make you go underactive, so you'll be asked to increase the dose, and so it goes on. As you can see, it's best to avoid this situation by, on the day of the test, taking your tablets after the blood test.

• Posted

Hi Patty, you started on unithroid 8 weeks ago and you have been feeling bad for around a week. It takes 6-8 weeks for the drug to 'kick in' so it sounds like you have been taking too high a dose. You need to start low and increase SLOWLY. Keep a diary of your symptoms so you can track improvements or worsening of symptoms. Try not to worry, you are not going mad and things will get better once the thyroid hormones settle down.   
  • Posted

Hi Patty!  Those sound like the same symptoms I have when I'm overmedicated.  I have switched to a Natural Thyroid medication and have little to no symptoms anymore, but when I was on T4 only meds it happened a lot.  I had creapy crawly sensations in my skin (mostly in my legs), nerve pain in my feet, restless legs, muscle twitching (drove me crazy), headaches, vibrating nerves.  Ugghhh - it's the worst!  I feel for you.  
  • Posted

Hi Patty, I have hypthyroid aslo and was on 125mg of Levothroxin and when they did my blood work my numbers were still high (22)  and my pcp upped my meds to 137mg and a couple weeks after taking it I started to get all the symptoms you are now getting. I called my doctor and asked if she had my new blood work and she did and told me to stop the 137mg that is was makimg me over active. I been off the 137 for 2 days now and fell less of the anxiety but can't wait to feel 100% again. I hope this helps you. It does sound like your being over medicated.
  • Posted

Yes, that definitely sounds over medicated to me.

Those are my symptoms too when I've been over medicated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.