Do I stick with Citalopram or try something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, just looking for some advice based on your experiences here.

I've been on Citalopram 10 mgs for years but lately my anxiety has been bad and the hot weather is not helping. I've been getting anxiety attacks, palpitations and not sleeping very well.

I am seeing my doctor later but don't know what to do for the best. Do I ask to increase my dosage, change to another med or ask for something to take with my current dose of citalopram? If I changed to escitalopram for example, would I still get the withdrawal effects of Citalopram and the start up effects of escitalopram? I'm on edge and just need something extra.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thing happened with me… Was on 20 mg of citalopram for approximately six years with no issues… And then I had heightened anxiety migraines and insomnia. Went to my doctor and increased to 30 mg. Have been on the increased dose  for close to  2 1/2 weeks and I am feeling benefits already. Still some heightened anxiety in the mornings but in general better throughout day. 
    • Posted

Hi Evan,

Just dropping a line hoping you are still doing ok.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi LINA! 

I travelled back home with my children the day before yesterday and had a slight increase in my anxiety but better than I was before the dose increase! My sleep is somewhat disrupted at night still but I think that will get better in time. I'm glad I increased and feel I am on the right path.  Thanks for checking in and please let me know how you are doing also!

Evan

• Posted

Hello Evan,

I wonder why that happens?

Anyhow, saw the doctor this morning and he didn't want to increase my dose because of the time it takes for them to work and the side effects, very thoughtful I thought. Probably didn't suggest changing to something else for the same reasons. Instead he's given me propranolol 10mg to take once a day for a month. He will see me again in a month to see how I'm getting along.

He wasn't concerned about the palpitations and flutters because he said it was the anxiety and it is recent. Blood pressure was ok too, so were my recent blood tests.

I feel better after seeing him, his reassurance works wonders for me and he is a well respected doctor.

Perhaps now I can focus on getting back to some kind of normality.

Pleased for you that your increase is working, and thank you so much for your response. Really appreciate it.

Looks like I've replied to me, meant for you Evan lol

BFN

• Posted

Is that tablet too help you sleep. I'm suffering with no sleep too it's horrendous sometimes only an hour or 2 a night went too doctors this morning n broke down I'm exhausted theve prescribed me 7.5mg of zopiclone x

• Posted

Hello Karen,

No, he prescribed these to calm me down, that's what he said. I think I will be able to sleep better once my anxiety has settled down. I am on a very low dose too so I'm hoping there won't be any side affects. I took it exactly an hour and a quarter ago and it is making me feel a little sleepy however.

Zopiclone seems quite popular reading some of the posts here.

I hope it works for you, it's horrible not being able to sleep, makes my anxiety worse.

BFN x

• Posted

Hi Karen. It has happened to me before...no sleeping is awful. I was given zoplicone too_ it knocked me out and slept 9 hours straight first night. I took it for 10 days as Dr said so I could catch up with rest. Good sleep will stabilize a lot of things body and brain. I did start feeling a little sleepy and dizzy at the 10th day so Dr said take half for about 5 more days and then try sleeping without it.

Pay attention to how you feel next day. Better not to drive in case you still are a little sleepy.

I was afraid to take med as never tood meds for sleep before so I took pill and watched funny stand up comedy until fell asleep so I didnt think about anything else.

Wishing you a good night sleep smile

• Posted

Hi,

The propranolol kept me awake for most of the night. I had a bad headache two hours in and still have it today. It supposed to prevent migraines too!! Don"t know whether to take another now.

• Posted

Thanks so much for getting bk too me I had a good 9 hours sleep last night but once I woke it was weird I was so sluggish thank goodness I didn't hv work today I feel a lot better now in the afternoon xx

• Posted

I was fine in it I slept for 9 hours straight after not sleeping for 3 weeks I was desperate xx
    • Posted

That's great news Karen, you must have been exhausted. Hope you can keep it up!

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Lina! How are you doing now?

?I just wanted to comment that I had to go off the beta blocker I was prescribed because it seemed to make my insomnia worse. Unfortunately, insomnia can be a side effect of all the beta blockers.

?My heart palps went away on their own after my anxiety started to settle down a bit :-).

?It is somewhat common for antidepressants to quit being as effective, especially if you've been on them a number of years. An increase in dosage does usually help. You're on a really low dose, so at least you've got lots of room to move up;-)!

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

My headache lasted for five days, more like a migraine, after taking just one propranolol. I was afraid to take any more. My palpitations have calmed down, just getting the odd flutter when I'm anxious about something like going to the dentist today. I worked myself into a state before I went, thought I was getting a filling but it was only xrays.

My anxiety isn't any better though. I'm not sure if it's worse even after taking the Citalopram. I take it at 2pm, maybe I should change the time. I don't want to increase, if anything I think I'd rather come off it. I just feel to muzzy headed, weird, all I want to do is lay down. It's getting to me a bit.

I'm pleased for you that your anxiety has settled down. Hope your sleep has improved too.

Thanks for getting back, really appreciate it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.