Do I still do pelvic floor exercises?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have found out that I have a Cystocoele & a rectocoele and my dr said that no amount of pelvic floor exercises are going to help. 

My question is do I still do pelvic floor exercises whilst I’m waiting for surgery? Which apparently could be a long wait due to the waiting lists!! 

I’m asking because surely I still need it to be quite strong AFTER surgery? 

Sadly the exercises sometimes make me leak even more but I want to do what’s going to help long term. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellie. Sorry for your problems. I was in same situation (except i didnt leak) and told by a womens health physio that I should keep doing pfe's right up til op for the same reason you say but there seems to be so much conflicting advice I would check with your GP or get him to refer you to a womens health physio if available. Mine could tell me what exercises I should/shouldn't be doing both prior and post op. She also said only to do 3x 3x10 pfe's + 3 x3x10 'rapid' pfe's a day rather than as many as possible (as previous advice) or floor may go into spasm! I'm 10 days post-op cyst/rect/SSF and told at hospital I could restart pfe's immediately after surgery but then advised by nurse on here not to as I had a catheter!! So much conflicting advice - these problems have been around forever! there should be a gold standard to follow by now lol. I've joined a private fb group (APOPS) where you can also get hints & tips . Also have books by Sherrie palm (who runs it) and a book+safe pfe's exercise dvd by michelle kenway. I put myself on the cancellation list as need time to get over before daughters wedding and was lucky enough to get one 28 Dec. Be aware if you're on hrt you need to come off 6 weeks prior to op as it's an increases risk factor (thrombosis? ) . Good luck with everything. Hope you don't have to wait too long xx

• Posted

They tried taking it out a couple of times in hospital but I still wasn't voiding (emptying) my bladder fully. It was new years eve so they were trying to get as many people home as possible lol. Tbh I was in 3 days so was happy to escape! They let it stay in for a week or so give the bladder a chance to recover. Hoping to have it out tomorrow! Would have been really fed up if I'd had to have had a leg+night bag but the flip&flow wasn't too much of a nuisance 😊 x

• Posted

PS. Have you considered trying a pessary in the meantime? They only tried me on a 'ring' one which fell out but I now understand there are different types. Also apparently underwear which helps support your pf! X

• Posted

I was told the same thing. I even paid 3 thousand dollars for Thermiva lazier surgery and still nothing!! I can't have sex because it opens up large. I need a posterior and perineum repair. Yes doing kegels might help your muscles as a whole but will not fix your prolaspse.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.