Do I still have a UTI?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just finished my 7-day round of antibiotics (CIPRO), for a UTI that also caused a kidney infection. My symptoms were frequent urination, burning, lower back pain, and drops of blood in my urine. While on the antibiotics, all the symptoms went away. However, it is day 2 after finishing the antibiotics and I have noticed a little bit of blood in my urine again (without the other symptoms). What does this mean? Did my UTI / Kidney infection not fully go away?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your infection and the treatment of it is important in respect of an earlier post I wrote regarding the fact that are anitbiotics prescribed in too short a course therefore leading to the possibility of resistance of the organisms that are still alive after a short course of certain antibiotics.

I had a very bad infection that I was told by a urologist I could not 'prove' I had an infection ! He said that because he never prescribed any thing whatsoever for my symptoms that were being caused by an infection or multiple infections....... On two occasions I have proof that no cultures were carried out. In any case certain bacteria can hide and are not flushed out in the urine that is easier to test.

I have been OK for well over 18 months but it was not until the third week on Ciprofloxacin that my symptoms were eradicated. I took Cipro for 33 days all together during that course.

Incidentally it may seem but the Mimms directive to all in the medical world states that the first

line antibiotic to be given once the prostate is 'invaded' by an infection is a monthsworth of Cipro.

If the infection is tuberculosis apparently the researchers state that the prescribing of Ciprofloxacin can 'delay' the prescribing of the 'correct' course of antibiotics.........

TB is one of the most elusive of bacteria and because I have latent tb that bacteria could well have caused my problems for donkeys years but proving that fact is to say the least most difficult because a body can be partially resistant to that bacteria..... further more Cipro is given to some patients with isoniazid and refampicin resistant TB but I do not know for how long their courses last!The plot thickens. What seems clear in all this is that some patients need to be conversing with bacteriologists who know what they are talking about.

• Posted

D-mannose is very soothing to the urinary tract and helps it to heal. Also be sure to take a good probiotic. Being on Cipro for a week has killed the good bacteria in your gut, so it would be a good idea to start a prebiotic to build up the good bacteria. Hope you feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.