Do most surgeons have patients wear compression socks on both legs during Artroscopic knee surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok, so I had Arthroscopic knee surgery 5 weeks ago, ended up getting a massive blood clot in the leg they operated on which ended up breaking up and going into my lungs.  The wierd thing is, just before surgery, they placed one compression sock on the good leg not being operated on, and not on my bad leg.  What is the sense in this?  Can somebody please shed some light on why this happened?  To think I almost died maybe because of somebody's ignorance is a most unsettling feeling.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear that sound very scary. How long after the op did you get the blood clot ? I was fairy mobile a few days afterwards. They put a stocking on my good leg after surgery and then told me to put it on the operated leg after 48 hours until I was more mobile. I don’t understand why they do these things but maybe you could ask the hospital where you had it done . Hope you soon recover.

• Posted

Karen, that does sound a bit strange as well.  I think alot of these procedures change like the wind according to what doctor is preforming the surgery.  I was told by a RN later that compression socks should have been put on both legs prior to surgery.  I guess if they hadnt used any at all, I wouldnt be questioning what they did.  But to use one on the good leg, and not the operated leg?  thats really wierd.  Neither was I given instructions about wearing them at home.  I simply took the one of the good leg and threw it away a day or so after the surgery.  Just no communications.  Thank you for your well wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.