Do my symptoms match thyroiditis? Brain fog, fatigue, weight loss etc

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I'm going on almost 7 months of not being well and starting to really want some answers, as it is really starting to ruin my job and social life. I saw an immunologist recently who went over my symptoms and suggested I get my thyroids checked. I would just like to post my background and current symptoms to see what everyone on here thinks. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Background

- Lived in basement apartment with history of serious mold problems

- Frequent Health issues since moving in

- Developed stomach issues in December/January (Pain, heartburn, acid reflux, diarrhea), severe flu for two weeks, followed by severe allergies for 2 weeks (Drippy nose and eyes, rashes on neck and face, discolouration of forehead).

- Constant sore throat and stuffy nose, rashes (face, neck, chest, armpits, genitals), brain fog and chronic fatigue during this time.

- Face, neck, shoulders would turn dark red when drinking alcohol

- Numbness in arms, legs

- Hand, leg tremors

- Rapid weight loss

- Symptoms seemed come back worse after weekends of drinking alcohol.

- Symptoms went away completely for about 12 days, only to return April 23

- Moved out of apartment April 30

Current symptoms

-          Constant brain fog: Ears ringing, hazy feeling, malaise, pulling down feeling in cheeks, trouble thinking, sensitivity to sounds and light, occasional blurred vison, forgetfulness, irritability.

-          Brain fog has been progressively worse since the week of April 23

-          Constant fatigue, trouble sleeping 

-          Lost 30 lbs since March (no significant change in diet, exercise) 

-          Puffy eyes

-          Pain in neck glands

-          Sinus problems

-          Fungal rashes frequently on armpits, groin. Acne on back, face

-          Sensitivity to heat, excessive sweating

-          Sensitivity to alcohol. Symptoms often become much worse (brain fog, neck pain, fatigue)

-          Occasional nauseaOccasional light headedness that brings me    to verge of fainting

*Had almost identical symptoms 8 years ago after living in a basement apartment and feeling stomach pains. Symptoms went away after 10 months of anti-fungal diet. Occasional flare-ups over the past year that would last 1-2 weeks.  

*Brother has Ankylosing Spondylitis

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First, I am not a Dr or any other medical professional but no, your symptoms do not remind me of thyroid issures Thyroidistis (Hashimoto's) is what I have and it is an autoimmune disease and not really related to what you've mentioned, in my opinion

• Posted

Although some of your symptoms sound like hyperthyroid or hyperparathyroid, as a whole they don't really add up.  It is really easy to find out if it is either of those though, just get your blood tested.  For thyroid get them to test your T3, T4 and TSH, for parathyroid get your calcium, PTH and vit D tested.  If the calcium and PTH are both high and the vit D low, that indicates a parathyroid adenoma.

But it is NOT normal to have symptoms that go away again, with either of those.  I think you may find that it is a fungal allergy that you are suffering.  Boron can help quite a bit with that, including having a bath with borax in the water.  

Googe the Borax conspiracy to understand more about boron...borax is a commercial name for boron that is mined for non food reasons, but is just plain mineral.

It will put your mind at ease to have the blood tests though, so do ask your dr to do them.  With the calcium....even slightly raised, or high end of normal, if accompanied by high PTH and low vit D means an adenoma, which means surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Anne. My vit D was very low, but I'll have to check to see if my calcium and PTH were tested.

At first I thought it was fungal allergies, but I haven't lived in that moldy apartment for 2 months now and haven't seen much of a change in symptoms. I saw an allergist who did a type one allergy test (skin prick) and they all came back negative. Also, I've been on an antifungal (Flucanazole) for a couple weeks to address my fungal rashes and have been feeling a bit better but its hard to say if that's the reason. I will look into boron for sure though

I came accross something called subacute thyroiditis and feel like my symptoms are quite similar to that, especially due to the fact it comes after a virus and there is a 1-2 week period where the symptoms disappear. Seeing an internist tomorrow so I'll have to see what he thinks!

• Posted

Interesting!  Haven't heard of subacute thyroiditis...wonder if it is treatable?

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.