Do my symptoms sound like costo?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been spending a bit of time on the GERD discussion but on googling sternum pain I came across costochondritis. 3 months ago I was really ill with mouth ulcers/the flu and woke up one night with bad sternum to back pain. I went to the Dr and I was given drugs for reflux. I reacted badly to the drugs and over the past 2 months have been recovering from this. I have been given possible diagnosis of ulcer, hiatus hernia etc but various tests including an endoscope have found nothing.

I do get sternum pain but this is mild. The main pain I have is between my shoulder blades and around my mid back where my bra sits and some mild pain in my left shoulder. I find wearing a bra uncomfortable due to pressure on the area. The pain gets worse as the day goes on and normally by late afternoon it feels like a burning/stinging pain in my upper/mid back. I don't find paracetamol helpful but do use a hot water bottle. It gets better at bedtime and rarely bothers me during the night. I find that twisting my head or my body or carrying something heavy can be uncomfortable. I don't feel like I have rib pain. Not having a diagnosis is giving me terrible health anxiety. I have distressing thoughts about cancer. My Drs try to reassure me as nothing sinister has been shown in the endoscope, ecg, lung xray or blood tests (to check kidneys, liver, bone health, blood count, thyroid, celiac etc). I'm on the waiting list for an ultrasound so hopefully that will reassure me. Thanks for reading my long post!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I could have written this myself. I sympathise. I have had 6 weeks of chest, shoulder, back shoulder blade discomfort - not sure if it’s heartburn, muscular, gastric. Really tired of it now - all tests normal - bloods, chest X-ray, ecg. Every now and then a random pain in arm, hand, leg. Im on list fir endoscopy. I’m really worried by the symptoms. It all started after a really stressful weekend. Wondering if something serious is wrong. Spend my days fretting.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're feeling so worried Fiona, sending you a hug! I know how you feel. I need to take my own advice but you should feel reassured by the normal test results so far. Do you have any gastric symptoms e.g. indigestion? Hope you don't need to wait too long till your endoscope.

• Posted

Thank you and I hope you feel better soon too. To be honest, I am not sure whether the discomfort is costo or gastric. Thats why im getting an endoscopy. I am also taking Lansoprazole once a day to see if that helps. The discomfort moves around. Yesterday it was in my collarbones, day before in centre and back shoulder blades. Today, felt much better. I had a glass of wine a few days ago and it aggrevated it so could be heartburn. The worse the discomfort the worse the other symptoms. I am much better than a few weeks ago though. It varies each day.

• Posted

I also have swollen neck glands with it. It started with a flu like virus. I just want to be back to normal. 6 weeks ago I was fit and healthy. It hurts sometimes to turn in a certain way and sometimes when I swallow. All very bizarre. My doctor thinks its viral and costocondritus. She doesnt think there is anything serious as it would have showed up in bloods, but it doesnt stop me worrying which probably causes / aggrevates symptoms!

• Posted

I wake up feeling perfect and it gets worse as day goes on but slightly better before bed. So similar!

• Posted

All sounds very similar to me! Let's keep in touch with progress. Take care.

• Posted

Also meant to say that a gastroenterologist wondered if I have post viral nerve pain; viruses can damage nerves to cause pain that may be chronic. It could be something that eventually settled down.

• Posted

sounds very familiar, except the waking up perfect part. Can I ask do you have any swelling in the sternum or xyphoid process? if you press lightly on your sternum do you feel the pain radiate through you ? like to your ribs or back area?

I've been dealing with this for almost a year and I believe it is costo brought on by a virus. At first my doctor diagnosed it as "Xyphoidalgia" because the symptoms are very similar. I say costo/virus because I've had the gambit of tests as well that haven't turned up anything. It has gotten slowly- and I do mean slowly -progressively better, to the point where the bump in my xyphoid process is almost gone now and the pain when I press is less and I am starting to feel better. Less gastro issues and less pain. I also take Meloxicam because I dont want my stomach to get torn up by NSAID's like Motrin. I also take Nexium but I am trying to wean off both of those. But heres another twist, that made me feel its viral. In the past month I've broken out with hives. I've never had hives. At first they were bad. They caused bump like welts that hurt around my breast to the point where my doctor sent me for a breast ultra-sound (quite embarrassing when you are a man) and they found nothing, not even swollen lymph nodes. But within days they were gone and appeared elsewhere. Itchy welts/hives, that benedryl did nothing. My doc felt the bumps could by the result of a virus. He did test for a few main ones but all negative. Now I've read that when you body is fighting a virus and the virus is in its end game that sometimes hives can break out. The hives have gotten better too but presently I am still dealing with them. Its been a miserable ordeal.

• Posted

Hi, i know this was a long time ago but just wondering if you found out what was wrong with you? x

• Posted

Hi, i know this was a long time ago but just wondering if you found out what was wrong with you? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.