Do my teeth have to be in good condition before hip replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

l am due for hip surgery soon and in the process of having my teeth cleaned, l have several holes in my teeth that will need to be filled and wondering if they need to be done before the surgery?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes absolutely. No cavities or infections. Go in for a cleaning before THR just in case the is someyhing that needs attention. Because it is always recommended by the surgeon not to have any dental work for at least three months after THR primarily due to risk of joint infection thru any risk of bleeding in the mouth.

• Posted

Then after the three months dental work ok but for two years it is recommended to take 750 mil. of amoxicillin one hour befoe dental work and 350 mil after. Just in case any blood is drawn during the dental procedure to prevent any infection .
    • Posted

Dear hope4cure,

oh boy l am in deep doo doo. I had some descaling on my teeth and then they examined my gums and x rayed etc. l have approx 6 cavities and one fractured tooth. Two days ago l lost some filling out of one of my teeth and have had a tooth ache from it. On thursday l have my pre admission appointment so my op is coming up soon.  I don't know why all these things happen all at once. Thanks for the information though it has been a real help.

• Posted

When your surgery can be  scheduled set it a few weeks out if possible by explaining the dental issues you must have done first.SCHEDULE ALL APPT. WITH DENTIST BEFORE YOU GO IN FOR PRE OP.  Ask if you can have all filling done the same day. Tell your dentist it all must be done and can he fit you in , as you were not aware of the dental issues before THR surgery. I'm sure the dentist can accommodate you with his schedule. 

I had a dental issue  last week only two months after THR revision my surgeon preferred that I wait one more month . I am keeping my teeth really clean and using special toothpaste my dentist recommended. Then will be in to see the dentist in a few weeks. 

Keep posting let me know how you work it out. 

My dentist walkways helps me out , he has been very helpful for several years.

take care.

HOPE 😊

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

set up all your dental appt first see if you can have filling done In One day. Other dental issues taken care of soon too. Explain that you did not know that all dental issues needed to be done before THR.

When you do to pre op appt ask if the date can be set after your dental work that is currently scheduled to be completed with yor dentist. 

Hoping all all goes well with your fillings and you will be glad to have it done and no worries.

I had to have a root canal before my surgery and a temporary crown as well as one tooth pulled due to leaky filling,all went well with the dentist and same with THR.

Keep posting let me know how your doing.

Hope xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.