Do not have it.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had the shingles vaccine and went down with shingles. i had the flu vaccine in the other arm on the same day.

Shortly afterwards i had shingles and flu very badly which gave me severe asthma problems.

Three months ago I was diagnosed with PMR.

I am becoming more convinced that the shingles vaccine is cause of this dreadful debilitating illness.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Maureen, I think there made be some issues with the old shingles vaccine, but the new is suppose to be okay. I came down with PMR some months after my old shingles vaccine shot.

🙂

• Posted

I have had the shingles vaccination and no problems. I have had the flu vaccine, no problems. My first flare up w/ PMR was in my thirties. My physicians at the time did not have a name for it. Just before my flare up I had recently had a severe case of strep. I had another episode of PMR in my fifties. I tested positive for strep once again at the same time. Vaccines have never bothered me, unlike actual infections.

• Posted

Hi Maureen, i was diagnosed with PMR in September after months of really bad muscle pain but late last year a had a bad bout of shingles and i had it again at the beginning of this year, i too was thinking there may be a connection with shingles and PMR. I also have asthma and my boss keeps saying she thinks it would be a good idea to have the shingles and flu vaccine but im not so sure now.

• Posted

Shingles vaccine is live and pmr started coming on gradually immediately afterwards. I am convinced the jab was the cause and even my rheumie couldn't deny it. Sometimes it's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I had an annual blood test on the same day as shingles jab and everything normal. 2 weeks later pmr started in hips moving into all muscles. I've warned everyone I know to avoid jab. A dose of shingles is preferable.. No contest.

• Posted

Which shingles vaccine did you have? Both shingles AND PMR are listed as potential adverse effects for the Zostavax version which is the one still being used by the NHS and most state-funded healthcare systems because there is not enough manufacturing capacity for the newer vaccine Shingrix to supply them all yet.

There is no information about the use of Shingix in autoimmune disorders although some expert question whether it may stimulate the immune system more than is advisable.

The link between vaccines in general , and shingles and flu with PMR is that they are all insults to the immune system and may form one of the myriad of triggers that finally set the immune system onto an autoimmune path and causing things like PMR.

• Posted

Yes, EileenH and I get a case of the sniffles or GI tack problem I have a flare. It seems that any little infection can cause my body to over react a I get a flare. Oh well stay healthy! 🙂

• Posted

I dont know i will ask my GP.The vaccine has changed since i had it.

I think there needs to be a questionarre sent out to people who have Polymyalgia and the shingles vaccine.

• Posted

The old live shingles vaccine, Zostovax, could be implicated, but the new version, Shingrix, is made with killed virus so it shouldn't add to the chicken pox virus load already in your body.

• Posted

That is what I understand also Anhaga. I had Zostovax, PMR followed 4-6 months later. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.