DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started taking Dihydrocodeine about 2yrs ago to give me some relief from Restless Leg Syndrome , i wasnt prescribed them , a friend gave me some one day when i was telling him about my R L S ,a couple became a couple of strips then packs etc etc etc ..yes they stopped my RLS but now i cant get anymore i am going through a pysical and mental hell ...

My body hurts all over and i am suffering tremors sweats and depression .. i feel terrible and all i can do is try and get through it , luckily i have a partner who is supportive and helping me through , i have never taken drugs but this must be what its like coming off them , my RLS is not good to live with but its better than this ..

So please if your doctor or anyone else offers you Dihydrocodeine say NO THANKS its not worth the problems it causes and i wasnt taking a lot ... max 90mg at night ..

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you have a medically confirmed degenerative condition that yields high levels of chronic condition - it may possibly help you to live a less unhappy existence by taking [i:3f44def686]the PRESCRIBED AMOUNTS of DHC[/i:3f44def686] to help reduce pain levels !

If the bottom line is [i:3f44def686]lead a painful and miserable existence[/i:3f44def686] .... or have less pain existence and keep functioning and working as a person dependent on DHC ...

I hate the fact that I am dependent on DHC ... but at least I can function and still do my job :wink:

Good Luck

• Posted

I must say that I agree with Guest and feel exactly the same way. Sometimes when you have pain that you have to live with every day it's the price you have to pay. I take a prescribed dose of DHC 5 x 30mg per day and it just about keeps me comfortable enough to function and go to work and get some sleep at night. I would like to take a couple more but my doctor won't up my prescription. I've been taking them for years and know I'm addicted because I get anxious when they run out and I'm waiting for my new prescription.
  • Posted

Hello Tadpole !

I take a prescribed dose of DHC 6 x 60mg per day and also it just about keeps me with enough dulled edge on my pain to be able to function and go to work and get some sleep at night (approx 4 hours max) !!

I have never ever run out of DHC !

I would however suggest and recommend that you consider taking daily a good quality : muti-vitamin + vitamin C + omega 3 oils - in addition to your DHC (as it hammers ones system) !

A really high-fibre diet and 20 mg of lactulose solution daily will stop you being constipated ...

Wish you less pain

:wink:

• Posted

i suffer back pain after a car crash 15 years ago. one day im up the next down, depending on the weather. i had tried all kinds of pain relief including acupuncture. had numerous visits to hospitals for xrays and told they cant see anything? sometimes i lay in bed and couldnt move, if i sneezed id cross my arms across my chest to keep the pain down. i then saw a doctor who wasnt my usual and was prescribed 90mg DHC. im still thanking him now 4 years later, yes i get dragged in the doctors every 6 month to be reminded that they are addictive and dependant drugs. i dont need them on my hols in the sun but good old british weather, one day warm the next cold then wet, my wife can tell the weather by the state im in. yes i probably will take them for the rest of my days, yes i can take them or leave them ( depends on whether i want to be in pain or not!) im NOT addicted to them, they just let me live a better quality of live, i dont need time off work anymore cause i cant get up etc etc. if i move to sunnier climates maybe i wouldnt need them anymore? but for now....
  • Posted

It never fails to annoy me when peolple give so called 'good advise' on pain medication saying 'dont take this type it causes problems' etc, etc, and consistently they are the one's taking it illegally or over -indulging their prescription medication. Then us patients who suffer horrendous pain and maintain to function best we can and keep a job down thru' taking our pain medication as prescribed by the doctor, then are told from the medical people that they cut back on painkillers as they are getting abused. Well it isn't by me and definately not by some I have read here.

I didn't take analgesics for years as a lot of people with chronic pain thinking or being told they're bad for you, cause heart trouble etc deny themselves a life as others enjoy without any pain what-so-ever. I as well as many other souls thank someone who existed many moons ago who gave us, who suffer now, Analgesics. A sure candidate for the Nobel Award..

• Posted

Hello all! I was wondering how many people still drink alcohol while they are regularly taking dhc. I don't drink any more apart from the odd bottle of beer here and there, but my doctor told me that the amount I take (5 x 30mgs = 150mgs per day) is the equivalent of quite a lot of units of alcohol. Is he just trying to frighten me? Also he says that he can get into trouble for prescribing me so many as they are a controlled drug, even though he knows why I take them. Can they be bought over the counter in Turkey (Diclofenac can)? Hope you all are coping ok with your pain!
  • Posted

If 150mg a day (on average) is what it takes to feel right then it isnt much at all smile
  • Posted

to the lady who had rls ! if you took them with out the doctor giving it to you are you the silly one :shock: !

i am sorry but thats why they alway say dont take other peoples drugs !!

i am a 23 year old woman who needs a hip replacement and in constant amounts of pain and now worried about taking them !

i hope they work to take the pain away but ill be sure of this! i wont be giving them to other people

hope you are feeling better thou smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.