Do others without a spleen realise that we need a meningitis B jab as well as several others?t

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apparently we are at higher risk of certain infections if we don't have a spleen. Do others know that we need 2doses of Menitorix, a meningitis ACWY conjugate vaccine, 2doses of meningitis B and a flu jab every year and pneumonia jab every 5years.

our practice nurse says this is all from advice in 'the green book' which is the guidance that they follow.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi i am new to all of this.  i just wanted some reasurance really.  i have been placed on the waiting list.  to have a total left hip replacement in may 2015.  i have watched a few videos regarding this surgery on youtube.  i have watched 4 videos on hip replacement so far.  and i have seen videos of people recovering and walking straight after the surgery.  basically i just want some reasurance really.  i like to hear from some one.  that recently had this surgery.  and hear their views on this.  many thanks.  
  • Posted

Hi mariecress, i came across your post cause I was looking for more info regarding recovering from pneumonia when you have no spleen. I live in the US and was not informed about these immunizations regarding pneumonia. Do you have more info regarding this that u can share? I'm trying to recover right now. Thanks.
  • Posted

https://patient.info/health/preventing-infection-after-splenectomy-or-if-you-do-not-have-a-working-spleen

In the UK the NHS follows guidance from the Department of Health. Vaccination advice is available in 'The Green Book'.

Chapter 7 outlines UK recommendations for vaccinating people with certain medical conditions, this includes advice for those with no spleen.

Hope that helps 

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a link to our article about this. The provided link to The Green Book didn't work but this is linked to at the bottom of the article above - click References& Disclaimer to view it.

• Posted

Sorry the link I included did not work. I would like to point out though that the current advice on this website does not mention the meningitis B vaccine.

Department of Health advice in the Green Book does recommend two doses of meningitis B vaccine(Bexero).

• Posted

I Have had no spleen for 40 years.  I take antibiotics permanently, I have my  flu injection every year and I have a pneumacotal injection every five years.  I do also have blood tests coming up to the five years in order to asertain whether the Pnumacotal is still in my system, if it is then I don't have the injection but I have the blood test every year there after.  Never heard of taking the other medication you mention and I've been fine without it
  • Posted

I am wondering is this is the reasons why I am (& my female partner) suffering what I am.. I had an emergency speen removal back in 2010, and they gave me a cocktail of shots, and I was good for some time, but I am presently having some problems that are.... complicated.. due to other factors. I regretibly got cylmidia back in 2012, but was treated with meds and everything seemed fine,, however, either then or shortly after, I have had very pungent urin, and two of my partners since then (one current for 2 years now) have developed an unknown 'smell' down there that has been persistant and not treatable. I know this is gross and very personal, but has anyone else had this type of issue? I think my tests are coming back negative for all STDs because they are looking for the wrong thing? Perhaps I have some sort of bacteria that is survived having not taken the medications you mentioned below? I have doctors saying to me today that these shots are not needed, even when I show them this green book material. Any input?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.