Do people understand or just don't care ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi it's Bex again smile

The past few weeks I've been getting a bit down, I'm not sure if it's just me who's feeling sorry for myself or not. I've only told a few people about my ME/CFS and they just treat me like I'm being lazy or making excuses for myself. If I feel really tired or have a bad day, I want them to understand how I'm feeling, that's all. Sympathy is not what I want, I just want them to understand. Am I being unfair ?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So it's ok to laugh at someone with a debilitating neurological condition is it, just because there is no proven diagnostic test or known cure.

Why are we the butt of everyone's jokes. Isn't that discrimination?

I know people don't like what they don't understand but surely someone, somewhere could fight our corner?

• Posted

I wish Alicia :roll:

I shall never feel the same about her though :evil:

• Posted

They always say never judge a person till you've walked in their shoes well maybe these people should walk in our shoes even for a day more so a bad day then they wouldn't be so keen to have it or for that matter want it love Mo
  • Posted

It hurts and is hard not to take personally, especially when you are crying out for someone to be kind and take care of you. :cry:
  • Posted

[quote:e746b9c05a=\"maurich\"]They always say never judge a person till you've walked in their shoes well maybe these people should walk in our shoes even for a day more so a bad day then they wouldn't be so keen to have it or for that matter want it love Mo[/quote:e746b9c05a]

if they walked in any of [b:e746b9c05a]our [/b:e746b9c05a]shoes they wouldn't make it to the end of the road! :lol:

i was so disappointed when ricky gervais did that joke about ME in his set... can you imagine the uproar if it had been, say, arthiritis, or some other physical disability? :evil:

this really is the bane of our lives, and its not fair that we should have to cope with the illness [b:e746b9c05a]and[/b:e746b9c05a] the ignorance that surrounds it :x :x

even if you dont understand something that's no reason to disbelieve it. im sure ive never doubted the severity of a condition i dont know anything about! :steam:

• Posted

It has come to my notice today that they don't understand and they certainly don't care. In fact some people are so selfish they only care about themselves and what affects them in their own little world.

Genuine, caring, thoughtful people are hard to find.

I am so lucky to have met quite a lot of them on this forum and the help and support we have given each other cannot be equalled. :D

• Posted

Yes, I completely agree Alicia ; and Trees, if they walked in [b:2d7b6a2e4b]my [/b:2d7b6a2e4b]shoes, they'd hardly get up the garden path :roll:

Thank heavens we've got this forum and each other - nobody who hasn't got this :bleep: illness can ever understand how it affects us.

If I didn't have this \"outlet\" I think I'd go round the twist!! (even further than I am already that is ) :weird:

And it's good to know that other \"new\" people are finding us and joining us too :hug:

• Posted

Absolutely Daisy, well said. xxx
  • Posted

Where's the Good Morning thread gone ? :shock:

I wanted to put a PS to my post on it : sad

I still haven't had a letter from the benefits people :roll: :?

I think if I haven't heard anything by next Thursday, I'll ring them again as that will be 6 weeks since my medical :roll:

• Posted

Here :!: Here :!:

I totally agree, I know it may be hard for people to understand but why does that stop them for showing a little compassion :cry:

I have never had any children but I wouldn't dream of laughing at or belittling someone who tells me how painful childbirth is :evil:

Sometimes it is only the understanding, and humour, from this site that keeps me going :hug:

Long may it reign :ok:

• Posted

thank goodness for this forum eh? :D

although its really not easy to find on here - ive got it saved in my favourites as i still have trouble finding it from the main page, especially as CFS is listed under miscellaneous :?

maybe there's a way we could change this to make it easier for people to find us? mrs mod, or any of our lovely mods? :D

• Posted

Yes, Trees, I've got under \"Favourites\" too. :D

How's your pacing coming along and how did you sleep last night ?? :run:

• Posted

Bit confused what's happening on the forum where's good morning thread gone Alicia are you ok Daisy can you not find out from the benefits office what's going on it's not fair to keep you hang on all this time Kristal I agree this forum is such a support to people especially folks like me who are just diagnosed and very confused about things as I dont know anyone with this illness hope everything sorts itself out Mo
  • Posted

Hello Mo :D

Yes, I'll ring the benefits office next week if I don't get a letter.

I think the forum is having some technical problems :roll:

We all hope the forum gets sorted out soon ; it's such an important place for all of us, isn't it! :hug:

I know that it would have helped me enormously to have had it when I was first diagnosed (100s of years ago!) :huh:

Hope you have a good weekend

take care,:cheerup:

• Posted

Hi bex,

Ive had me for the last ten yrs when I tell people what is wrong with me they either say pull yourself together or want to rush me to the hospital.I had been depressed because of this illness and wondering when im going to feel better.I had to give up work but in the last yr have managed to go back.I only work three hrs a day and sometime that is too much but I struggle to carry on.Things really do get me down but I try to stay positive.AT the moment Im experiencing shortness of breath my own gp has done tests oxygen levels and blood presure normal it just seems its another symptom to add to the never ending list of things has anyone else had theses symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.