Do PPIs cause Atrial Fibrulation?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is atrial fibrulation one of the side effects of PPIs?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Its more likely that having reflux will cause the condition and the PPI will help stop the condition. Google to see some research.
  • Posted

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are widely used for the treatment of acid-related upper digestive diseases, including gastric and duodenal ulcer and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Remarkably, several small clinical trials have shown that these drugs also reduce the symptoms and frequency of atrial fibrillation (AF) episodes in patients treated for comorbid acid reflux. Although the mechanism remains unclear, the effect might pinpoint a connection between GERD and AF. To this end, it is known that both oxidants and inflammation affect initiation and maintenance of AF, and PPIs may reduce symptoms and frequency of AF episodes through their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. This review focuses on the anti-AF effects of PPIs beyond their inhibition of gastric acid production.
  • Posted

Well. They certainly appeared to be in my case. After ten years on them I stopped and within 48 hours so did the really awful long term AF symptoms

they have not returned and even though I suffer from acid reflux at least once a day I really do not want the AF back. I am managing by diet and other methods.... Some rather odd but I at least feel normal and not about to drop dead from a heart attack.

• Posted

You and gandac are the first we've heard of that have connected PPI and AF. AF risk factors are quite different...i.e. hypertension, obesity, diet, dbt2, and others. Don Claudio on the Gastritis forum experienced AF out of "nowwhere"...immediately stopped caffeine, began daily exercises, reduced food volume, and frequent deep breathing thru out the day......his AF cleared up within 3 or 4 days after begining this protocol. Cardiologist was so proud of herself "assuming" it was the beta blockers she prescribed (and he did not).

Another patient with an existing excellent diet and exercise program stopped the AF implementing deep breathing and the addition of 5mg of Melatonin and 10mg of Vinpocetine...then weened both over several weeks....an 83 year old with minor reflux..and it resolved as well as the AF. Do not recall the response time but think it was short much like that of Don Claudio's...

Your smart to have terminated the PPI, plus the use of diet and other methods for your conditon/s. Neither Nick or I are "fond" of PPI's but know they "may" be good for short term use for several of the conditions derek mentioned. Our first step is to ascertain there is an over secretion of acid before attempting to use a synthetic to block/curb the production...I'd add to wknight's suggestion re google...use google scholar ...plos one might be worthy as well...our best to all of you. Ann

• Posted

If you google as I said before because I can't post the link it will show some research where taking the PPI meant that you had no AF, you have stopped the PPI and the AF has returned. 

The PPI is not the bad guy here because it's the drug that's stopping AF, it's acid reflux that is causing the AF. Read the research article and then go back on the PPI and see if the AF stops. 

• Posted

I had no AF before PPI's  in my life, had it for four-five years whilst taking PPI's before Prednisolone,, it got worse when taking Prednisolone but completely STOPPED as soon as I came off PPI's... Read what people say before replying.... there are too many who have suffered on this drug... my disorientation and joint problems also stopped after ceasing PPI's and the terrible breathlesness. There were so many symptoms that stopped I couldn't believe I hadn't tried this years before and my doctor gave me no indication that these capsuls could be the cause of all my misery...on top of PMR that is !
  • Posted

Hi,

What is AF if you don't mind me asking and is it related to acid reflux?  I am a sufferer to and am under going tests.

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

I did read the post and if you read the research I refer to it shows that PPIs give relief from AF. You probably had it and didn't know because you were on the PPI. Now that you are no longer taking the PPI the AF shows up.

BTW a side-effect is when you are ON the drug not off it.

I have been on PPI for a long time and I repeat for every 1 person that moans there are 100's of us out there saying what a wonderful drug it is. If you really value life don't drive a car, not give up a PPI, because cars are very,very dangerous and kill LOTS of people every day

• Posted

I only stopped at Christmas 2014.... the AF stopped then too and has not come back. My Vitamin levels have improved no end and I no longer need the Calcium capsul suppliments.Are you trying to say I am not compus mentus ? I am suffering from PMR not dementia, and I dont need to be suffering side effects from a medication that masks symptoms and gradually erodes your bones and good health just because I get a bit of indegestion if I eat daft stuff !. Yes for ten years I thought I was on a wonder drug I could eat anything I liked... but sometimes your body tells you something and you need to listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.