Do side effects settle down

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve been on Amlodipine for 2 weeks now and wonder if the side effects settle down. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks I have an increased urge to urinate more frequently through the night and day. I am waking up 3-4 times in the night which is affecting my sleep pattern massively. Any advice will help

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

claire, they can do for some people but they didn't for me.  Different side effects for me : swollen and inflamed ankles.  I tried to persevere in the hope things would improve but after a couple of months I couldn't stand the stiffness, the difficulty walking, especially on the stairs, or sight of my ankles, and when I showed them to the GP she diagnosed varicose eczema - all down to Amlodipine.  Best to check with your GP rather than ignore the side effects for too long.  I assume you were started on a low dose initially.  Doing so and then titrating the dose as necessary can help to avoid side effects.

• Posted

Mrs. I had the same problem stiffness swelling I had a hard time going up and down the stairs uneasiness in my legs. I stopped taking it for a day or two and I noticed a difference my Gout doesn't come back my swelling in my arms and my legs and my feet I feel good in my body. It's a horrible pill horrible medicine

• Posted

Couldn't agree more, Chris, but then I'm not exactly a good candidate for many of the BP meds!

• Posted

TDo not know why they would give anyone this s**t drug.  It feels like If I take it again I will die from it. I am 60 years old it took all my energy away from me. Hot flashes when I laid down. Throw up in the morning. I would like to kick my doctor in the ass. What an a**hole I really thought I was suffering from some toxic poisoning 
  • Posted

Hi I read your post I've been on amlodipine for several years and that's just the start of it. I had the same thing I still have Sleepless toss and turn. There's a lot of muscle pain lower back pain twitching in the back swelling in the ankles in the feet and arms

• Posted

Hello Claire

I have been on Amlodopine for 3 yrs now and haven’t had any side affects at all.So they do affect people in different ways. I would persevere a bit longer as think your body needs to get used to them. Keeps my high BP in check which is a relief. 

• Posted

Hi Claire have you been prescribed 5mgs or 10mgs?  The doctor has increased my dosage to 20mgs and it’s making me tired, ankles swelling and now legs and ankles aching all the time
  • Posted

Sorry I meant 10mgs not 20
    • Posted

Eileen, my doctor increased amlodipine to 10 mgs mths. ago. I've been on 5 for very long time. I have experience swollen ankles at the Achilles heel section. Swollen back swollen arms swollen muscles twitching aching uneasiness in my legs gout in my toes and they still don't listen to me I've decided to wean myself off of this stuff I'm cutting the 10 mg in half cuz I can't take the pain I can't function

• Posted

Hi Claire , im definitely up to the loo a lot more frequent through the night , I have been on this medication 10mg for about 6 weeks now ,my biggest issue though is stiff neck which only started since I started on this medication , and I always kind of feel light headed
    • Posted

I had stift neck for three days along with a headache. I've been on amlopidne 10 mgs . I have been on amlodipine 5 mg 4 years and it's taking a toll on me extreme muscle pain in my joints by elbows. There's some days when I break the pill in half because I can't stand it makes me feel

• Posted

I only take 5mg so perhaps that’s why I don’t get side affects. My Dr combined it with 4mg of Perindoprol this combination seems to work for me. Feel so sorry for everyone on this forum with such horrid side affects especially as so many GPs just disregard it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.