Do sleep problems ever get easier with citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on week 8 of citalopram 20mg. I keep waking at around 2-3 am with panic. Does anyone else struggle like this and does it get better in time. Because I'm panicky during the night, I'm waking up with increased anxiety and it sometimes make me sick on a morning. I just want it to get easier. I have been on this dose of citalopram before and the anxiety got better but I didn't have the night time issues that I have now.xxx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have tried diazepam and ziplocone which has helped but I know they can't b a long term solution 

• Posted

Hi Gemma,  your brain is going through alot of changes at the moment, give it time & it will settle, just because you didn’t have it last time it doesn’t mean to say it will be the same like last time. 

The huge problem is the panic, imagine your rolling a snowball down the hill, it will get bigger & bigger, if you stop rolling it will stay the same, what I use to do is keep rolling it, as soon as you stop thinking , rolling it the panic will cease, it’s very hard I know but it is true, your as good as fueling the fire

I hope you feel better soon and please try not to panic, it will pass

😎

• Posted

My sleep issues never improve with celexa.. because I been suffering with insomnia all my life.. ziplocone will be with me forever..thank God iam in the USA and I been approved for my meds I have to take to combat this horrible Illness..and yes IAM recover from celexa..my initial symptoms that I wanted relief from completely diminish..and yes millions of folks are taking ziplocone and diazapam for life..my mom is a great example..of long term use of diazapam and celexa together..
  • Posted

My sleep issues never improve with celexa.. because I been suffering with insomnia all my life.. ziplocone will be with me forever..thank God iam in the USA and I been approved for my meds I have to take to combat this horrible Illness..and yes IAM recover from celexa..my initial symptoms that I wanted relief from completely diminish..and yes millions of folks are taking ziplocone and diazapam for life..my mom is a great example..of long term use of diazapam and celexa together..
  • Posted

I’ve been on citalopram for 8 weeks, 5 weeks on 20mg, and I wake up most nights around 2am to be honest. Sometimes I’m able to go back to sleep, and sometimes I need to lay in bed and read a book for a while until my eyes start to get tired and I eventually fall asleep again. In the daytime going for walks can help to tire me out at night. I have had some nights where I’ve had an okay sleep, it does take a while for your sleep to get sorted I’ve been told, so yes, whilst it’s annoying waking up, I’m glad that I’m getting some sleep even though the quality isn’t the greatest. 
  • Posted

Also Gemma, I tend to wake up with morning anxiety often...it feels rubbish but I just try and get out of bed and get on with my day, and not lay there for too long otherwise I’ll end up overthinking. I make my bed, open the curtains, and take myself off to the bathroom so I can get on with the day ahead x
    • Posted

Thank you star. It's the bad nights that set me off anxious for the day. I just long for a good nights sleep 

• Posted

yes,after 10 weeks you will see the difference ,take citrolopram in the morning and it help your tiredness at nite
    • Posted

Thank you marsh, I switched it from night time to morning last week as I wondered if that might help.
    • Posted

The Seroquel sore of like mirtazapine but without that nasty drowsiness in the mornings..but it brings on appetite..so you gotta be careful..
  • Posted

My insomnia/waking at night lasted about 10 weeks when I first started Citalopram. I used trazedone and lorazepam to help me sleep for weeks, then it got to the point I just used trazedone. I still use trazedone sporadically, as needed (lately every night now that my anxiety is back).
  • Posted

Hey Gemma, 

I’m in my 13th week on 10 mg. I still have some insomnia but these past 2 weeks I notice a huge difference for the better. I wake up around  2 am but I fallback to sleep within 30 min 🙏🏻. Stay with it. The days I go walking I sleep much better. Also take your med in the morning with breakfast. Good luck. When you wake up put a set of headphones on and listen to meditation.

It works !

Will😎👍🏼👍🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.