Do SSRIs feel as calming as diazepam?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been prescribed 5mg diazepam for severe anxiety and am feeling nicely relaxed and comfortable after taking just two. I'm 5 weeks into fluoxetine and wondering whether fluoxetine or citalopram give you a similar feeling once fully kicked in? I know diazepam is only for short term use 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 6 weeks in to fluoxetine and it is stabilising my mood and helping me think positive. I am fine on them but some people get terrible side effects when they first go on them. I took diazepam only a couple of times for flights or mri scan but not keen on the drowsiness it gives me
  • Posted

The great thing about diazepam is that it's more or less instant relief. 

The antidepressants work in a different way. They fix the chemical imbalance in your brain..So yes eventually you will feel calmer but that's because your mood lifts,your mind clears so I turn you are able to cope better,think more rationally....sort out the trash from the treasure.

5 weeks is a very short time but you will find that they are making a difference very soon. It may be only subtle at first but them little changes all add up to good days.

I found that I was feeling like my old self at about the 8/9 week mark on Citalooram when I used them years ago. It may not be that long for you.meverybody is different. I'm glad you are feeling relaxed. That's why I came off diazepam after a few months because I understood why it was so easy to get addicted too

xx

• Posted

Hey David

Yes when the meds kick in you will feel fine.  I'ts not the same, it hasn't got that overally calm feeling but you will feel "normal".  It's more slow acting but you will get there, be patient with them, it can be frustrating that they take so long but they DO work

• Posted

Hi Louise / Gillian and Tracie thanks for your replies and support.

At the moment I feel like losing more and more control  - I don't sleep too well which make me even more anxious in the day and i can't work properly then I'm anxious at night. I feel dread in most situations where normally I wouldn't have thought about them.

I've had anxieities in the past but nothing at this level I can't seem to control the catastrophic thoughts about everything like losing my business and spending my remaining days as a nervous wreck and hermit. My body and neck start twitching randomly too and I'm scared stiff.

5 weeks into 40mg fluoxetine and 5mg diazepam per day - the latter does make a difference.

Anything else I should be doing / taking meds-wise apart from the holy grail of relaxation and acceptance??!

Reviewing the fluox in two weeks with my GP.

I'd forgo a lottery win to get back to normal!!!!

Best Wishes xx

• Posted

When the AD fully kicks in you will eventually feel normal and if feeling relaxed and comfy is your normal then yes.

diazepam is a quick "relief" from anxiety attacks but equally wears off, alternatively AD's gradually work and the effects when in equally last longer ie you won't go back to being anxious if you forget to take an AD for a day.

most AD have an anti anxielitic property which also works in tandem with increased levels of seretonin so the two work in partnership.

• Posted

The AD I have is Venlefaxine which includes an Nuradrenalin re uptake inhibitor, yours will work as Gillian suggests equally as well.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Aspinan - it's truly awful time, woke up this morning heart pounding as I don't know how to tell my biz partner I need to reduce my workload and client meetings. Guess it's just about being sensible and breaking it down into manageable chunks. 

I'll stick with the fluoxetine for two more weeks and then see whether I need to swap, most people I know with anxiety are on citalopram so that might be worth a shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.