do Steriods make your chest heavy??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Finally after 9days in hospital and new diagnosis of colitis on left side not proctitus I'm home I'm in Steriods 8tabs for 2 months reducing a pill every week, I'm now on half a immune suppressants, calcium tablets, and as ofnfriday had my first iv of infliximab and due another round next week and weekly blood tests. Took till Monday to start feeling ok be able to make the stairs without feeling like I had tree trunks dead weight attached to me, but today my chest feels so heavy and tight can't breath properly it was like this the whole time I was in hospital I just put it down to anxiety , now I'm at home and I feel better got my hunger back and can actually move and do chores etc but my chest and breathing feels like such hard work and my lower back feels like it's gonna snap if I over do it has anyone else experienced these symptoms while on Steriods ???

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha - I have followed a similar reducing course of Steroids twice. The first time I needed an hour to recover each day as they made me feel dreadful. I was ravenous most of the time and I put weight on. Have they prescribed the calcium tablets too?
    • Posted

I've lost weight 9lbs in 2 weeks but I'm constantly hungry actually eating a nice egg breakfast in the morning lunch and dinner for a change usually I skip breakfast and eat large meals late, and yes im on calcium tabs twice a day chewable horrible things but my chest and breathing is so heavy it's freaking me out it hasn't died down all day and I took Steriods after breakfast about 9am are u supposed to take Steriods before or after food??
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, There are loads of side effects from Infliximab possible especially if you are feeling unwell anyway. Do check with you GP etc. I don't want to concern you but it is worth pointing out that IBD patients are up to 3 x more likely to suffer a DVT or PE than others as the blood is stickier as a side affect of the disease, I expect they told you about this in hosp and gave you infomation about avoiding DVT etc when you went home.

Good luck , Sheila

• Posted

DVT is deep vein thrombosis and PE is pulmonary embolism. The blood clots in the vein and reduces circulation causing swelling and darkening of the skin and pain. If the clot breaks off and travels to the brain or lungs or heart it is serious. You would have been on blood thinners in hospital by injection every day to reduce the likelihood of a clot forming due to reduced mobility.

Loads on internet and also on this site under health information.

As Darasdad said check your symptoms with the doctors. Stay safe.

Sheila

• Posted

I'm not a clinician but Steroids are taken with food and in one go. I think the side effects can be different for everyone. I'd contact your Consultant, Doctor or IBD Nurse. All I can say is when I had my first proper flare up and course of Steroids I was so ill I thought it was something else. I had a Thyroid test, ECG and various blood tests including one for diabetes but it was the UC. I really feel for you and hope the Infliximab works, unfortunately it didn't for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Samantha. I would call your doctor out if you are unable to get to surgery tomorrow in view of what sheila said about pulmonary embolism (blood clot) & you say your chest is heavy & breathing bad. also i would definately & importantly query having immunosuppressant drugs at the same time as steroids. i am no doc, but almost sure you have to have been OFF steroids for several weeks before you can start immunosuppressants. i was nearly put on immunosuppression several years ago & had to finish steroids weeks before in readiness, but didnt have to go on in the end as they tried me on balsalazide & also diagnosed bile acid malabsorption at same time (more meds) which got me under control, & i have only had a mild flare since starting those meds.take care
  • Posted

p.s forgot to add prednisolone steroids were my saviour when i flared. i put on a little weight & face puffy, but went few weeks after stopping. they made me feel a little groggy during 1st week, but after that fine & appetite improved too which makes you stronger, but they can really knock some people out. please make sure you check urgently about what i said before about poss pulmonary embolism (ref sheila) & use of steroids same time as immunosuppressants- could explain why you are feeling so terrible, but also from a safety point of view.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.