Do steroid injections shorten your life as the hospital , and HP have given them to me for the last

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do Steriod injections shorten your life as lve been having them for 4 years every six months or so for Plantar Fascictis ostioarthritis, in both of my feet!

It's the only pain relief that enables me to walk.

So would the injection shorten your life ??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi.i don't know for sure but since it's localized it won't really make much difference. but I want to ask one thing. I took one inj around 6 months back.its effect lasted for 3 months only.how long do u feel pain relief from it.and did next inj lasted for same time too.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, my injections at the hospital lasted about 3 or 4 months they were in my feet. But my new GP now administers them it's not so painful and seems to last much longer and he only does one injection in each foot. The hospital in the operation theatre used to put about 10 in each foot , Ouch!! ??Hope this helps! Best wishes Linda

• Posted

Cortisone is a natural substance secreted by your adrenal gland. What is not normal or natural is the dose and timing.

No, it should not shorten your life if adminitered by a medical professional.

What might shorten your life is the stress and depression of living in constant pain.

• Posted

Thank you John for your reply to my question best wishes Linda
  • Posted

Cortisine is a natural substance secreted by the adrenal gland. When you get an injection, it is a much higher dose. Cortisone basically deals with the inflammation. It suppresses the inflammation. It does not cure the underlying problem. Think of it like a small fire. If you pour a little water on it, the flames will go out for a while but there will likely still be some embers smoldering and they may reingnite the remaining fuel and create a new fire if you don't fix the cause of the underlying fire or problem. The effect of cortisone may last a few days, a few weeks of a few months or maybe a very long time if you do what is needed to fix the problem that caused the inflammation.  It depends on the cause of the inflammation and what you do long term. Cortisone is not a cure all.

I hope this helps. For PF, it should help for a while but will have an expiration date unless you do many other things to cure the cause which is always multifactorial. The cortisone is a temporary fix but not a cure.

• Posted

Hi, I had severe PF a few years ago and had acupuncture, two or three times a week for about 6 weeks. It worked really well and so far I have had no recurrence. It must be at least 13 years ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.