Do supplements work?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi! Im 29 y old and recently I've been experiencing some pain while urinating. There is also a frequent urge for urinating and when I do urinate there is just a small amount of urine that comes out. Sometimes I feel pain in my lover back pain. None of the symptoms are affecting me seriously but I want to prevent them from getting more serious. I've done some on line research ( I'm still not ready to go to the doc) and it seems that my symptoms are prostate related. I've read all the comments here and on many more other forums and there is a lot of mentioning of saw palmetto, nettle extract , tomato extract and zinc as something that can help and ease the symptoms. Does anyone have any experience with supplements containing this ingredients? Do they work? Which one worked for you? Appreciate every advice I can get!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Some people claim to get relief from some supplements but there's no scientific evidence that any of them work. I tried saw palmetto and pygeum and neither did a thing.

• Posted

Hi Lee. Yes some people say it didn't work , some say it did. I saw comments around here from people that said the supplements have helped them (still waiting to hear from then which ones did they use). I think it wont do more wrong to try some ( except damage to the wallet ). I just want to try some that have enough of positive reviews.

• Edited

Try an internet search on supplements. Your sample size on this forum will be too small.

You really should see a urologist if you're having a problem. That's always a better option than getting medical advice from strangers with no medical training.

• Posted

Have you been to a doctor? At 29 yo I'd be thinking prostatitis. Maybe urinary tract infection?Does it hurt when you ejaculate?

• Posted

Hi. No I haven't been to the doctor. I suspect it might be prostatitis also but my symptoms are not severe, it's just mild discomfort . No, no pain while ejaculating.

• Edited

I have to admit I'm a bit scared of going to the doc but you are absolutely right about that seeking for advice here instead of going to the doctor is not the best option. But since my symptoms are not so bad I decided to try this easy supplement option first.

• Posted

I always try to use dietary supplements and so far I haven’t come across one that hasn’t worked for me. I also used regen50 for my prostate and it reduced my PSA. Of course we are not all the same.

• Posted

I did research on pomi-t and it does have inflammatory effects and brings down the psa also. At least there is a study on it.

• Posted

I think you could have urethritis (infection). Should do a urine culture test. I thought women are prone to UTI. If not UTI, then it could be the prostate

• Posted

Have you seen the Doc yet or did you use any natural remedy?

• Edited

there is a lot of mentioning of saw palmetto,

Saw Palmetto, just a few years ago was considered the #1 Mens Herbal Supplement, at least in terms of MONEY spent annually - Then, finally - a large, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study found that..**. it's bunk. **

Saw Palmetto by itself - does nothing - according to the 2012 Cochrane review clinical review of 5600 men. And that followed another double-blind, study in 2011... proving that 20 years and billions of $ spent on Saw Palmetto supplements - was basically a waste of time and money. Oh well. -- https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/spotlight-on-saw-palmetto-science

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.