Do these head zaps sound like mini seizures?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 20 y/o female. Over the last 3 - 4 weeks I have been having what I can only describe as 'head zaps' . They started suddenly whilst I was at the airport about to go on holiday and have been happening around 10 - 30 times a day since. They feel like sudden jolts of electricity going through my head.. As well as this I have been feeling quite lethargic and having 'brain fog'.

I went to the GP last week and he said it sounds like a pinched nerve in my neck. I told him I'm worried it's some kind of seizure and he laughed and reassured me it wasn't. However, the only websites online reporting this symptom are either to do with SSRI withdrawal (I have never taken anti depressants) or epilepsy.

I am at a loss of what to do.. but they are really starting to affect my every day life.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm so glad i read your message. You're not alone. Since 2004 (im 32 now) I've been having these "jolt like" sensations or I usually describe it like if you get shocked from the vacuum after walking across the rug. It's different than a regular seizure. I have diagnosed epilepsy too, with absence seizures. What type do you have? I've yet to find someone who has experienced the same thing as me, yet my neurologist is starting to come to some conclusions now. I'd love to talk to you more about this. I hope you're doing okay. You're right. They interfere with everything.

• Posted

Hi... Thank you so much for replying and sorry to hear you too suffer from these things.

Sorry for any confusion, but i do not actually have epilepsy... i am just worried these are a sign of epilepsy or some kind of seizure?!

Janey7... thanks for replying and no, the only medication I am taking is propranolol to help with palpitations..

• Posted

just to mention, other symptoms i have which i dont know if they are connected include: twitching temple area, twitching eyelid, teeth grinding at night, waking up gasping for air in the night, sometimes waking up and being half conscious not being able to move for a second...

• Posted

oh and ive been having hiccups every single day for the past few weeks after i eat anything at all

• Posted

Dear hi2019,

People can have many forms of seizures, They can see, feel, hear auras which can been warning signs that they are about to have a seizure. In fact the aura is a part of the seizure already happening. A seizure is uncontrolled moments. It doesn't surprise me that your doctor laugh when you suggest it could be a seizure. Whatever is happening to you can only get more intense. The body warns us when something is a mist with us. What is happening to you is very concerning to you. Keep a diary of when, how etc... A pattern. A pitch nerve is painful and dumbing etc...I know. Concern. It was not nice that your doctor laugh, it only shows how unconcerning he is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.