Do these sound like typical PCOS symptoms?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone!

I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS but have wondered if some 'symptoms' I have would be worth going to the doctors to enquire about and if they are typical signs of having PCOS.

Firstly, I have tuberous breasts which I've read is sometimes linked to PCOS. Further to this, over the last couple of years (Im 22 now) I have been suffering with bad skin, mostly perioral dermatitis, despite always having flawless skin before this. I also get very dark thick hairs on my chin, not so many that i resort to shaving, but enough that I pluck them out every few days or so. There's also more general things like I seem to gain weight VERY easily, especially compared to friends and have been exhibiting mood swings which are much worse over the last couple of years.

Obviously I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just some opinions from people who suffer from PCOS.

Thanks!

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

From what I understand there are 2 types of PCOS (but different for each individual)

Insulin-Resistant and Non Insulin-Resistant.

Non Insulin-Resistant PCOS (which I have personally). This is caused by inflammation, my only real symptoms are irregular or absent periods which are heavy and painful and fatigue. My weight is stable and healthy, I dont struggle to lose weight and I dont have excessive unwanted body or facial hair. This type can be managed with diet and lifestyle, once you identify things that make the inflammation worse. 

Insulin-Resistant PCOS symptoms include weight gain, irregular or absent periods, facial hair, hair loss, acne, increased testosterone levels. This is caused by your insulin not functioning properly so you may also have some mildly diabetic symptoms like cold sweats, excessive thirst and frequent urination.

There's also a 3rd type which is PCOS caused by synthetic hormones, in other words sometimes when a woman has been on the pill for a long time, and comes off it can disrupt her natural hormone balance and cause symptoms of PCOS, but this can be reversed by balancing out the hormones. 

Not everyone will have the exact same symptoms, you could have some, or all of them and still have PCOS. 

My advice is to speak to your Doctor, as it does sound like possibly some kind of hormone imbalace might be happening, if not PCOS. 

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.