Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I am being referred to a rheumatologist and want to check if my symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

The major problem I have struggled with is crazy fatigue for about 5 years now, originally I was told I was low in iron and that was the only explanation given even after I had been on iron pills about 5 times and not noticed it making a difference.

I then started getting pains and aches every where really, elbow, wrists, ankles, muscles and worst probably my knee which when stanidng would hurt and need stretching out. I got really low as just felt so drained and was diagnosed with depression as the cause but pushing through I feel like that was definitely a symptom not a cause.

The thing that makes me unsure is that I have no visible swelling and the joints are not tender to touch. The pain feels more in the bones than joints at times as well.

The pains are fairly brief and shooting but often, also dull throbs and the aches are almost constant. My ankles and wrists feel weak a lot of the time. But I feel like perhaps they aren't as bad as a lot of other people that suffer from RA.

Any opinions would be much appreciated if anyone has experienced the same.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I don't know if you have a diagnosis yet but when reading your symptoms they really hit home. I was diagnosed with Fybromyalgia just over a year ago. I have constant joint pain - mainly hands and feet - but the pain isn't actually in my joints, but in the surrounding tissues. Some days I struggle to do the basic tasks, but i'm determined to continue working so I struggle through it - avoiding strong pain killers so I can drive and focus. This unfortunately makes the fatigue worse and by Friday I crash and burn! I'm a stubborn soul and refuse to give in to it, but some days are very hard. I have found deep massage helps and I'm waiting for my first appointment to try acupuncture. Yoga also helps in strengthening my core. I could take Tramadol or even Gabapentin, but I'm very resistant to going down this road as I don't want to get in to a pain cycle and become reliant on such strong meds. I know I may one day have no choice, but at the moment I 'cope' of sorts. The reason I decided to comment was I was fobbed off for 6 years with such comments as 'it's all in your head' and 'your ligaments are too long' etc. I suffered thinking I actually was going mad. Stand your ground and don't let them fob you off if your bloods or X-Ray's show nothing. If they rule everything else out, then Fybro is likely. Good luck with your search for a diagnosis and I hope once you have it you feel much better! X
  • Posted

Very much fatigue but little satisfying sleep. 

Cant work. Can't sit for too long, can't stand, can't get comfortable lying down.  Asleep by 10 pm and up by 5:30 am most days. Never sleep right through.

• Posted

The fatugue is definitely an RA thing. But it could be many others too.

The aches sound closer to rheumatism than RA. Rheumatisim affects the muscles and creates mejor aches, and flares with cold damp weather.

Sound familiar?

• Posted

All of these sound very familiar!

I have had issues with my eyes for years and a new eye doctor asked me if I had ever been checked for RA. He sent me for blood work and my ACE level was very high.

Going in next week for chest x-ray to check for other things.

But I also have shooting pains in my elbows and ankles and stay very tired all the time and have put in tons of weight.

• Posted

Hi Donna,

What issues do you have with your eyes that you've connected to RA?

I've had RA for 11 years and eye problems for three, but I never realised they could be connected.

• Posted

I'm not sure if I have RA yet.

Just went to the eye doctor Tuesday and he asked if I have it, so he ordered an ACE blood test and it came back way out of range.

I looked up ACE and it checks for immune deficiencies and can be sarcoidosis which is swelling in major organs and the eyes were one if them.

My eyeballs stay red and very sore all the time.

I do have blepharitos in both eyelids and also have kerataconus in both eyes.

• Posted

Im so glad ive seen this post i have spent last week worrying i have motor neurones disease. I have pain achey weakness in right elbow then toe and lower leg cramps, now headache, and achey in both arms and legs. Tired alot where i feel so tired sometimes i literally cant keep my eyes open and have even had to pull over while driving for a power nap.also mouth ulcers and tooth problem guns,
  • Posted

Colourmyworld did you ever get a diagnosis? How are you feeling? Your pains/aches mirror mine but I don't have fatigue or any RA factors in my blood other than a positive ANA titer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.