Do these symptoms sound like gallstones?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, my first time on here. About 3 weeks ago I had pain under my right ribs, lasted about a day. Had no more pain for about 2 weeks ago but it came back around 10 days ago and has been pretty constant since. GP said gallstones and arranged a scan. It doesn't seem particularly related to what I eat but about 2 hours after a quite large lunch today I had one episode of diarrhoea which was quite yellow. The pain is now almost constant and a lot of the time is also in my back, directly behind where it is at the front. I can't help feeling really worried!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Even though eating fatty food is meant to trigger an attack, I used to get them even after a cup of tea.

The attacks got progressively worse to the point I would curl up in pain.

I used to get the pain in my back too.

Had my gallbladder out on December. Best decision ever.

• Posted

Thank you. I hoped I'd hear something like that because I definitely don't fit the "flare up after a fatty meal" description.

• Posted

I ended up with multiple admits to hospital and the final one I was in for 5 days due to having a blocked stone, I turned yellow and they were concerned about the damage it had done to my liver. Was super scary.

Was put on the emergency list for removal then. Glad it's all done now and can eat pretty much what I want although sometimes get diarrhoea. Nothing to what it was though

• Posted

Happy it is all over and done with for you.

Do be careful what you eat .

You cannot just go back to eating exactly what you want to.

Remember you do not have a gallbladder any more.

Treat fatty food with caution

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

Hi Ceri 73859

Yes, I would agree with you; it sounds as though you have gallstones - the pains you are experiencing sound similar to the ones I had. When my pains first began I found it was usually after our evening meal. The pains weren't too bad and they passed fairly quickly which is why I didn't go to the doctor about this issue for at least a further two years. However, then I began experiencing diarrhoea (at the most inconvenient times) and for this issue I did visit my gp. She sent a "sample" off to be analysed but that came back clear. The diarrhoea cleared up for about a year, but it did return. Then my pains became more noticeably painful, and lasted for longer periods. I finally consulted my doctor when one night I felt very sick until during the early hours of that night I vomited a barely digested meal. It was then I went straight to my doctor and told her about the pains and the barely digested meal I had brought up; it was then she knew straight away I had gallstones. So began treks to the hospital for scans etc., endescope and a consultation with the surgeon. Finally in April 2015 my gb was removed, though to this day I still suffer with diarrhoea for which I take immodium most days.

You have typical gallstone symptoms, but your doctor has or is arranging a scan so hopefully things will move along now. I would just add that gallstone attacks can be helped greatly by watching your diet; that is to say, cut out fatty foods completely and drink plenty of water.

Sending you very best wishes, be careful with you diet, and try not to worry too much.

• Posted

Thank you Moonday. So glad I joined here I really needed to speak with people who'd been through it because I wasn't completely fitting with the textbook symptoms.

• Posted

Yes, it really helps to share your worries with others - it's amazing what your brain begins imagining when something like this starts up.

Sending you best wishes.

• Posted

hi ceri. just had my gb out. i could never link my pain to any particular meal. i had some sludge on sonogram, but mine was swollen and had thickened walls from chronic inflammation. (i put up with it for about 3 years) the attacks weren't that often. it does sound like you have stones/sludge blocking bile flow ( yellow diarrhea). i am glad i had mine out. no more pain... no more nausea!!

• Posted

Thank you. since that yellow diarrhoea this afternoon the pain has lessened quite a lot. just some lingering in my back. I wonder if it shifted something that was causing the pain.

• Posted

We are all different.

When I had gallstones a few years ago and ended up having my gallbladder removed it was always fatty food that triggered an episode. I ended up having an absolutely no fat diet. It was a nightmare.

Even now I have had my gallbladder removed I still have to be a bit careful about fatty food.

Fortunately I do not like fried food so that is a help. Not a great fan of chips either. But I absolutely love cheese.

Have you considered having your gallbladder removed? If so you need to get yourself on the waiting list as soon as possible.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

had by scan this evening which found no abnormality anywhere and I've had no pain since the diarrhoea episode yesterday afternoon. i believe I did have some gallstones or sludge and it came out yesterday. i suppose i now have to wait to see if it happens again and how often. Thanks for all the replies, they all helped and I'll stay part of the forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.