Do Wet Wipes work on posterior blepharitis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been having posterior blepharitis for 1 and half year and it honestly ruined my life.

My eye glands are so clogged that it makes my vision blurry and difficult to read letters. I tried many treatments and none of the worked. And because of my clogged vision, it creates distinction on my body such as blood flowing, I get heavy dizziness and fatigue. As a matter of fact I just quit my job one week ago due to my health condition. I don't hope for much else. I just hope I can do whatever kind of job and hopefully I can pay rent and eat to live.

Now I have read many people using wet wipes and got some success, but would it work on posterior blepharitis and not anterior blepharitis?

Also, isn't benzalkonium chloride dangerous for your eyes? I have tried wet wipes before for about two weeks, but was afraid that my doctor told me to stop right away since they may damage my eyes so I stopped.

So it wouldn't harm the eyes?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey arnold,remember me? It really sucks doesnt it? it is my one year anniversary for this crap tomorrow. I actually had 3 months of great vision,dont know what i did right,yesterday was back to anxiety,burning,etc...honestly,i dont know what to do,i keep jumping from one solution to another,my eye doc a month ago said i have excellant control of it,just caus my lids werent swollen when i saw him.. ha ha..its just one big puzzle,i get anxiety so bad,in scared to try the wipes,you are not alone! Hugs!
    • Posted

Hi, sorry it's been a while so I don't remember exactly but what are your treatmentsfor blepharitis? Did you try wet wipes already?

• Posted

Also, on wet ones itself, on it's label, it says do not get into eyes.

• Posted

With dizziness blepharitis and fatigue I would be wondering what else is going on. Is there any auto immune disease in your family. I had blepharitis which was a result of auto immune issues ...very hard to get under control. I also had dreadful vertigo and fatigue.
    • Posted

Cab you please share with me what your condition is and what you've done that has helped. I'm experiencing the same thing and more, and no one can figure out what's going on. Please?

• Posted

Hi Arnold. I understand your distress at this horrible condition. Have you tried any of the specific eyelid wipes you can buy ? They may be better than wet wipes which are really just for skin and not the delicate eyelid area.  Benzalkonium Chloride is often used as a preservative in eye drops and some people develop an allergy to it. You could also try getting an eye ointment...simple eye ointment is excellent ,or Boots simple eye ointment [both made by the same company] you have to ask the pharmacy for it. Use a good quality cotton bud and squeeze a good blob of the ointment on it. Gently rub this along the lids using a different bud for each lid. Try this 2/3 times a day to remove crusts and lubricate the lid. Put a blob in each eye at night just before you close your eyes,that should help a lot. Are you in UK?

There is light at the end of that tunnel but sometimes it takes a lot of trials of different things before you find the regime that suits you. once you find it you have to keep it up usually for the rest of your life. May I ask how old you are?

• Posted

I live in USA and I'm 29 years old.

My blepharitis makes my eye visions clogged so I have hard time reading letters. Warm compress makes My vision slightly better for 1 on 2 hours but that's about it. No matter what, my vision always stay clogged. Now I'm feeling very dizzy and fatigue, and this most likely is due to disfunction on my blood flowing but I don't know if my clogged vision is causing that.

My mom, as expected, blames me watching screen for long but I highly doubt that's the case.

I will be trying herbal medicine but it won't cute blepharitis. Also as mentioned before, I'm not sure if wet ones can really help since they contain benzalkonium chloride.

• Posted

Just seen Margarets reply......I too was wondering about the dizziness and fatigue. These symptoms are not usually associated with blepharitis. Does your doctor know about these symptoms?  You need to get them checked out. 
  • Posted

Hi Arnold,

I was diagnosed with Blepharitis in June last year.  It's been a journey to get it under control.  After the first month or so I also had tremendous fatigue and dizziness and started looking into it as a separate issue.  A lack of Vitimin B can cause this.  Vitimin B's feed nerve cells and my reasoning was that if one is stressed, and Blepharitis certainly causes stress, it could lead to this. I put myself onto a course of Neurobion tablets, (Vitimin B1, B6 and B12).  My pharmacist said I could stay on these as long as I wanted to.

This has made a huge difference and my dizziness has gone. It took a few weeks but  by the 3rd week the dizziness was lessening and by a month it was gone.  My energy levels are just about back to normal.  I'm now into my 4th month of taking them.  These one's are a bit expensive but come highly recommended. One can also go for a Vitimin B shot at a pharmacy and then continue on a course of tablets.  

There are other reasons for these symptoms and maybe you would want to mention these to your doctor, but I would recommend looking into a course of Vitimin B.  It worked for me.

Hoping sincerely you find what works for you to get the Blepharitis under control.

I'm on cortizone ointment in my eyes every night.  This is the only thing that keeps my Blepharitis under control and that was after 3 months of reducing cortizone drops.  This was obviously all under an Opthalmologist and has to be monitored carefully.

For cleaning I use 60 ml warm water, a squirt of baby shampoo and 2 drops of tea tree oil. I dip a face cloth into the mixture and rub along the eyelids a few times and rinse off with warm water.  A different cloth for each eye.  This is morning and night.

Go well!

Elaine

• Posted

I so agree. Vit b12 deficiency can be really awful especially if you have an absorption problem.
  • Posted

You should listen to your Mom. Watching screens of any description for long hours can add to the discomfort. When watching screens we tend not to blink enough and the cornea gets dried out. If your meibomian glands are also dysfunctional [blepharitis] this will add to the discomfort. You are very young and have only had this condition for 18 months and you are giving up far too soon. This is a condition that takes determination to conquer. You need to find the answers to your dizziness and fatigue...perhaps your doctor would do some blood tests if you explained this to him/her. Then you are on the way to some treatment .

i have had this condition for over 10 years so dont think I am talking without knowing the problems.

Have you been to an opticians to see if there is anything that needs correcting in your sight? Do you wear glasses?

Talk to your pharmacist. I know in US you have to pay for doctors appts if you are not insured,but your pharmacist will know all the things that are available to help your eyes and will know all about eyelid wipes and ointment.

Do try to be pro-active and dont give up. Try all the things that others will suggest..not all at once but maybe one thing at a time. There's loads of help on these forums but its up to you to you what you do about it.

• Posted

Dear Arnold,

They use Benzalkonium Chloride as a preservative in eye meds. It is .01% in my dad's steroids. It can cause damage over a prolonged use. That is why I have my dad use preservative free eye drops for lubrication.

I used the wipes on my eyelashes and killed the Staph.

If any gets in the eyes you can wash out with splashing water or using preservative free eye drops.

Honjon, on this site, had the oily problem and he used the UK wipes which have Benzalkonium Chloride in them.

People have said they are harsher. He must be well as came back to say they worked. 

I wrapped the wipes around my finger tips and only got it in my eyes a couple of times and splashed water in right away and was fine.

There was a person on this site who took them to her eye Dr and he looked and them and said she could use them. If you need that info let me know and I will look for it.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Can wet ones actually make blepharitis worse if it gets inside the eyes?
    • Posted

if you are allergic to Benzalkonium Chloride then you may notice 

more irritation than normal. If that happens then you must stop using the wipes immediately. The concentration of this preservative/antibacterial in wet wipes is much more than in eye drops,which of course are specifically tuned to the delicate eye area. 

As you have read,some have had success with the wipes,but others have found them harsh.

If you use them do be very careful not to get them or any fibre in the eye,and if you feel any irritation wash your eyes with plain warm water immediately.  

The only way you will know is by giving them a try. 

• Posted

I used them for the past 5 days didn't notice any uncomfortableness or any kind of change. So should I be patient and use them for few months?

• Posted

Frankly i feel they are too harsh for anyones eyes,even if they seem to work,who knows what the long term affects could be. They werent made to be used on the eyes. Just my opinion. Heck,even baby shampoo stings sometimes,cant imagine the wipes.
    • Posted

Sudgest you order some cliredex wipes,you might have demodex mites that need a high powered microscope to see,which most doctors dont have. You can buy them on amazon are safe and my doctor recommended to try them,i havnt yet.
    • Posted

My doctor says don't use wet ones.

But I heard some people on this forum saying that wet ones worked.

So I am willing to try.

• Posted

There are special eye wet wipes for this condition which I'm sure your doctor would approve of. Ask in your pharmacy,or buy online.

• Posted

Arnold ,are you using lubricating drops as well as the wipes? They are essential to keep your eyes "washed" and lubricated. The lubrication suppled by the tiny meibomian glands in your eyelids will be erratic at best so you have to supplement it.  "artificial tears" /Hypromellose is good for a start. you should be able to buy this over the counter at your pharmacy or online.  

• Posted

Dear Arnold,

Blepharitis on the anterior of the eye is caused by Staph. The wipes kill that. You would only get in your eye by accident and rinse with water. You are not wiping your eyeball just the eyelash rim.

It would cause damage if used in the eye for prolonged use. You would not be putting it in your eye.

Inside the eye is a gland problem and would require antibiotics. There are Ophthamologist, online, that mention that anterior Blepharitis can be cured. They mention putting the antibiotic on the eyelashes. They call it "off label use". They have other methods too.

I can only tell you what worked for me. Others, on this site, tell what worked for them.

You can use Tea Tree Oil that is diluted too as it kills Staph. Check out what is said about that and you may be more comfortable using that.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Actually posterior bleph inner lid does not always require antibiotics in fact they dont work for some. Main thing is managing it. Anterior..outer lid can also be caused by demodex mites. Often hormones etc can also caus these issues.
    • Posted

Dear Lee,

I can only tell people that the wipes worked for my problem on the lashes which was a Staph problem.

A person can tell if the yellow buildup on the eyes is Demodex if they look to the side of the eyes in a mirror. The mites  leave a elongated tubular deposit on the lashes. 

I read that 100% of people over 90 get this. I have seen it on a friend and it was terrible. I did work on it to help her keep it under control.

Tea Tree Oil is what is used on the Mites in that machine they use in the doctor's office. 

Honjon, on this site, did use the wipes and he had an oily problem. It is not the answer for all but does help some.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi,well my eye doc said even he couldnt tell if it was demodex as a high powered microscope is needed to see for sure,his office didnt have one,said I'd have to make a 70 mile trip to mayo clinic in Rochestr Mn to verify..so i suspect looking in a mirror wouldn't show much. I agree with the elongated crusting they usuaaly cause around the root of the lash,just telling what my optometrist said,he did sudgest icould try the cleridex wipes foind online as they kill demodex. Xx

• Posted

So would wet ones not function for posterior blepharitis?

In still currently trying wet ones though but don't notice any difference or any reaction from my eyes.

Whenever I wipe my eyes with wet ones, I feel almost nothing on my eyes. So I don't think I'm allergic to wet ones but at the same time I also don't notice any changes in my eyes.

• Posted

Dear Lee,

I have seen the deposits on the eye ashes. They were on the lashes not just at the base. Probably, a bad case. I did see them on another person too and it was not so bad. The mites I have not seen, nor do I want to.

Someone else may have to look on a person's eye lashes to see this.

Lynda79

• Posted

I asked my doctor for eye wipes and have been given plenty and he put on regular repeat prescription. I'm on free prescriptions but even if you pay for prescriptions you may be given plenty for your prescription charge. They are expensive to buy but are very convenient and nice to use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.