Do withdrawals always include shakes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I first went thru withdrawals. It was after a day drinking 2 bottles of wine at an all day family cookout. The next day I was all of a sudden hit at 2pm with tachycardia and extreme anxiety and dizziness. No early warning no shakes. I was pretty sure what it was and the only booze I had left at home was a bottle of scotch. Figured I would taper. Drank nearly 1/2 a bottle and the symptoms wouldn't go away. So I decided to cold turkey it. Was awful. Next day tied 2 glasses of wine and nothing so for 3 more days I suffered no sleep dizziness and anxiety to the extreme.

Just. Wondering why I got no shakes and why a fair ant of booze did not resolve my symptoms. Anyone else not get shakes? And ever have WD that more booze would not resolve?? Maybe I didn't drink enough. But I was prior drinking a bottle

Of wine most but not all days for about 2 months.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Alcohol withrawal affects everyone in different ways, as does alcohol itself.

The shakes is a common and usually first aign of withdrawal, as the central nervous system is affected, but whilst usual, it does not mean it will happen to everyone.

Once the incidence of alcohol withdrawal has set in, it can take a long while for the symptoms to subside. Yes, cold turkey is awful, it can feel like you are dying, if you are a heavy regular drinker.

• Posted

DO not worry since it takes time although it is very concerning for you and not nice to be shanking..you will fee better and it could take a little while longer. Well done and keep persevering. Robin
  • Posted

I am a heavy drinker, I've drank to be drunk pretty much for 9yrs now, having over 18 uk units of alcohol a night.

However, there has been times where I tried to be free going 3/4 days, and I've never gotten the shakes, huge anxiety yes, but no shakes.

I can only conclude that not everyone will get it, but it does seem a common feature of withdrawing.

• Posted

Yes it's a common system when withdrawal from alcohol, along with loss of appetite and insomnia, to name but a few.

personally I've never suffered with shakes, although pretty much all the other symptoms.

Like most things in life, people react differently to them.

• Posted

Thanks. The other thing...when I realized what it was and tried to drink as to taper, the drinking did not resolve the extreme anxiety and insomnia and dizziness.....no relief at all. Maybe I just didn't drink enough....and also there was no warning. Was like bam! Out of no where symptoms hit near full on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.