Do you find exercise irritates LS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

A day or so ago, I read somewhere, sorry can't remember which post, that exercise irritates LS? I am begining to notice that too. I love walking, but after a walk I am irritated and even my wee burns. Anyone else identify and perhaps have found ways around this? I really want to keep as healthy as I can. Without additional burning and pain.  Thanks !

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Callianne

I find that if I am going to be walking or more active than usual (on a day away from home etc) a light application of vaseline to the vulva/affected area before I go out helps.

I avoid too much as I have found that when it melts, if it spreads it can make the surrounding area sore.

I reapply the vaseline if I am away from home, after a loo visit.

On a "normal" day I use coconut oil but the vaseline seems to offer more protection.  (NB I buy the "small blue tin" from superdrug - it is often with the lip balm - it is cheaper than a small tin of Vaseline but if you check the ingrediants it is pure vaseline.)  

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I never thought of vaseline! I am walking today and will give it a go. I have at the moment more irritation around my clitoris area so will apply there too?
  • Posted

I can walk, but I can't ride bikes. 

I've worn skirts with cotton slips for years. No underwear, because that was irritating for me.

A liberated 66-year-old, that's me!

I try to remember not to walk up open staircases.....

Not that liberated.

• Posted

Hi callianne

I would and do use Hydromol. It is a type of emollient and looks like Vaseline in a large pot. However you can wash with it and it turns foamy when wet and puts a protective barrier on the area. You can also apply it direct to the area. I do this when I am exercising then use it in the shower when I return home after an exercise session. I would also be aware of what you are wearing when you exercise. You need knickers which are not going to rub and if you are walking, a skirt will be better or sweat free tracksuit bottoms which keep moisture away from the skin. The Hydromol can be prescribed by a doctor. Vaseline can clog the pores especially in the genital area. you might have a slight urine infection if your wee burns. If not then maybe friction is irritating the urethra like jumping or skipping and everything flapping about . Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, hydromol is also available OTC in UK as I've bought in Boots
    • Posted

Oh really Samantha. I get a 500ml pot on prescription which is about £8.20 How much is it in Boots?
  • Posted

I also found problems exercising, lots of reasons but ended up with problems riding a bike, horse riding, swimming (chlorine affected me and salt in sea irritated) gym caused problems walking on treadmill and all equipment. Feet problems stopped walking exercise so I am having surgery to correct those problems.  Ended up all I could do was upper body exercises so I gave up.  Have since found Epaderm which is like Hydramol seems to help lubricate things and I use incontinence pads to act as padding between me and seams.  They also keep things dry and clean for me. I know some can't wear them but we all have to try things to work out what works for us.  When I am sore I sit on my citzbath (others use bidets) and soak with a pinch of bicarb in the water.  Not too strong just enough to neutralize things.  If your wee burns it sometimes helps to pee into water which helps with the sting.  Nothing worse. Hope you have found solution by now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.