Do you get crunching in chest area?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else experience cracking/crunching in the sternum area? Or the feeling that you need to crack your sternum. 

I get this especially when I'm doing light exercise like rotating my shoulders (especially forwards) or when raising/lowering my shoulders. It tends to feel localised on the left side, where the pain is more noticeable when I stretch the muscles there. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I get the same thing. I feel like I need to press down on my ribs to pop my sternem. Also when I rotate my shoulders in a circle my ribs grind and crunch. Do you experience constant pain in your chest? Mine tends to be there all the time. Lately it's been worse when driving and laying on my side. Have you been dignoised officially? 

• Posted

YES! Exactly when rotating my shoulders in a circle. I can feel/hear the grinding and crunching in my chest I did see my GP in Feb and from the symptoms I described she was leaning to Costo. She examined me put I felt no pain. However, a couple week ago, I was getting some pain in the sternum and when I pressed on my chest ribs they were very tender. 

It started last Sep with the crunching and then a couple of episodes of intense pain in the sternum, which subsequently left me with the constant feeling of needing to crack my chest and stretch my ribs. I also sometimes get throat pressure and a feeling in my upper chest like I need to cough, but it's not a real cough. 

It's funny about the pain being there all the time. It feels more like it lurks in the background and certain movements or actions will exacerbate it. But one day, i could have twinges and the next day none at all. Or one day I could twist my shoulders and feel soreness in my chest muscles, but then do it the next day and nothing. 

Back in May I went for a remedial massage and subsequently began doing chest stretches and I really feel this helped. It really eased off for over a good couple of months. It tends to be more on my left and this shoulder does sit higher than the right. 

• Posted

I always d, dull aching pain in my sternum, I lay back and tried to stretch it I feel pressure and crushing pain like my sternum seems like my bone area is crunching over each other , very common with the diagnose, had it about 15 teen yes and was diagnose 2 years ago by a young female dr.,, years ago when I first went to the Drs, they didn't have a name for it. Mines from lifting a heavy object and pulled my shoulder muscels and sternum muscles between rids I also have pain on the right side of sternum and swelling. And I had all kinda work up and it's not a heart attack . It scares you like one. But you know the sharp pain that knock you out of breath. Heart attacks don't intent to wane , and feels like a elephant sitting on your chest , just knowing fro. We Drs information friends and family members that had them. , but when it hit you , it does scare you. But yes you sound just like i go thru.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.