Do you have a hard time telling if something is wrong or if it's anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I feel like I can never tell the difference anymore. I ate popcorn, and i feel like a kernel is in my throat. And after feeling that my entire neck started to hurt. I doubt there is anything there, but I hate when I can't tell if something is actually wrong, or if it's my mind playing tricks on me.

But earlier I thought the kernel cut my throat or something, and my neck was hurting so bad from it! I almost called 911, but calmed myself down, thankfully.

Have you been able to distinguish a difference between actual health issue and anxiety?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ps, if a kernel was somehow stuck, could it pass on its own? I was being a baby and called my mom, she said it would but I think she was just trying to make me feel better.
  • Posted

This is so me rn! I totally get you! I get something different every few days and I'm not even sure anymore. Today, out of nowhere, as i was walking i felt so weak and tired and i still do! I mean wtf, i really can't tell, I'm just fed up. lol. Sometimes when I eat my neck hurts , idek why, freaks me out too, but i think it's just stomach issues. Don't worry. Anxiety messes up with u real bad!

• Posted

I can't agree with you more, I have deferent symptoms everyday, and my neck hurts when I talk or swallow saliva, which leads to my sternum pain/pressure when I stand or stretch(feels like something is building up there) but the pressure also moves around on my upper chest.

I'm so sick of it and I can't tell it is health issue or anxiety anymore.

• Posted

worst is when you don't really feel anxious and still get symptoms! I mean wtf! i have a ot of back neck issues.

• Posted

Weird stuff just pops out of the blue. It really does. Or in your sleep and then you awake like what is this?  We are very proficient at noticing every little thing then blowing it up to something else.it really sucks sometimes. Even a nightmare can ruin an entire day. 
  • Posted

Hi Nicola I have the same issues as you yesterday I had earache and I worried so much thinking I had a brain tumour. The earache went with a couple of paracetamol and I still worry I've had all the necessary tests and everything is ok but I was diagnosed with serious anxiety and depression a few years ago and still battling with it now the gp doesn't seem to be able to get the right medication to get me sorted u have my better days but even there not brilliant I do manage to get myself to work but then I worry uf I'm going to pass out because the symptoms get much worse I'm worried I might end up in hospital its horrible I hate feeling like this and sometimes don't know what to do.

• Posted

You my have an allergy to corn, maize starch. I would start by getting an allergy test for food intolerances done as soon as possible. Allergies can start at any time or age.
  • Posted

Yes sometimes it can get tricky, you have to really objectively think it through. If you know cbt this is applicable. I wait. Some anxiety symptoms linger. So i usually wait a week to see if it comes and goes or fades. If so i know. 

With the popcorn you might have scratched your throat. Plain and simple. Theres nothing formit to get trapped in its a tube. Lots of water. Its those tiny plastic coating thing that is ampain in the neck with the teeth more then anything lol. Hence the magical water oick. But the threat thing sound very much like anxiety. Lesson here is mindful eating. Eat slow and chew your food. it honestly sounds like anxiety.

you have to trust your body here as well. It really knows how to digest food. And everything gets broken down in the body. Theres a ton of acid and little hairs that move the food through. Food doesnt have a chance in there haha.

• Posted

Wow it's nice to see others have the same issue! Makes me feel a lot better. I woke up this morning, and the pain was completely gone. So if it comes back later today since I've been thinking about it, I can pretty much guess it's anxiety.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

• Posted

Peanuts can be tricky as sometimes I can eat them without any trouble. Other times they tend to adhere to my throat. I should not eat them at all!!
    • Posted

I totally get this as well. Each day there's something. Like my wee smells different = diabetes or is it just I've eaten something different, I have a headache = tumor or maybe is it the weather, my foot itches = jaundice or could it just be an itch, I had a bit of acid reflux briefly = cancer or was it that food I ate repeating a bit, more hair in my brush = something stopping me absorbing nutrients or is it just normal shed, a bit more thirsty than usual = diabetes or have I just worked a little harder and need more water, my tummy twinges = cancer or is it just gas...the list goes on. Always questioning every teeny twinge and body change!

• Posted

Hi Nicole

It gets very wearying doesnt it .. To know is it anxiety or something else.

Calming your self down was a good response.. your ok.. it wänt serious.

It is hard to believe that anxiety can play these cruel tricks but it does .. all the physical stuff it throws at you is a nightmare.

But remember it is anxiety and you are bigger than it.

Stay stron, stay positive and do coping skills.

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.