Do you have to have low self esteem to develop anxiety disorder?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have read numerous times that in order to have an anxiety disorder, you have to have low-self esteem. However, I don't really believe this because I feel some anxiety disorders like health anxiety is truly a fear of ill health/ something bad happening health wise. Social anxiety I can understand is prob related/linked to low self esteem to some degree. Was wondering what others think on this matter as I am quite curious to know? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That is absolutely untrue. Some very famous, confident and brilliant people have dealt with anxiety most of their lives.

I think anyone that knows me, my background and my career would laugh at the idea of me with self esteem issues.....and here i am with anxiety. It is not true of social anxiety either. . 'Wherever you are reading this is not a trustworthy site.

There are some absolutely birlliant and confident people on this site, and the very last thing I would say about them is that they have low self esteem.....absolutel nonsense, dear Amba. If you have been on the computer again, or consuting Dr. Google.....stop!!

Your research should be scrolling through other discussions right here in this forum, my love. These are all real people...confident, brave and compassionate. you know this or you wouldn't keep conning back here, would you, Honeybunch.

• Posted

Ah Cia, great response, and you of all people are a perfect example of how anxiety can strike anyone! You are warm and loving and funny and intelligent and yet anxiety honed in on you of all people!

Personally I have never believed that finding the "reason" for AD cured anyone. It's how we deal with it that's vital in recovery. For instance, if I fell over and broke a limb, God forbid, I'd know what happened. But knowing wouldn't knit the bones, would it? But that's just my take on things and we all know, lol, Ize odd heehee

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, Helen. It means a whole lot to me. I agree that this is not one of those issues that knowing that your father ignored you when you were 6 is going to make a bit of difference with anxiety now.

I just happened to recently fall across what and why  the original event may have happened in my life. I also realize it has absolutely nothing to do with the more current anxiety event and or time that  this started..

I have not yet heard of any of the people who did track what they believe the cause was, making any difference in their current condition. I said all that to say this. I don't believe there is a cause "back there." and neither does my doctor. What is, is what is. I don't need to place blame anywhere. Even if it is genetic, I still can't place blame.

It seems to me that the hardest thing for people to do is accept that they are dealing with anxiety and get on with living.

I've come across quite a few things, like my latest thyroid problem, that happens to a lot of  people at a certain age. Who the heck can I blame for that...except long life. Not everyone gets thyroid problems around a certain age, but I am one of them.....so I either deal with it, or go for the alternative and be miserable....and it was miserable until I found out what was wrong, then did what the doctor told me to do.

You can tell it's Sunday morning.....I got all preachy....sorry to go on and on and on. cry Lots of love to you, Helen.

• Posted

You truly are delightful😘 I am blessed to have you in one small

Corner of my life and in a corner of my heart. You have helped me

And so many other dearest!

• Posted

Days? Hell, Cia was thinking more in terms of years! Can you just

See us? The Anxiety Golden Girls 😂

• Posted

This doesnt have much to with low esteem causing it. All the anxiety attacks can lead to that though. Its some kind of mal function but why, or how no one knows. 
    • Posted

Absolutely! And it's about time the financial resources/the medical eggheads pooled their resources and researched to find an answer. We live in a world where surgeons can "enhance" and  "enlarge" male and female body  body parts, to feed the vanity of bubbleheaded women who want to walk around with inflated breasts and men who want to boast of an inflated nether region.

The absurdity of it astonishes me. And if I get a backlash over this, then "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

That the know- how and the resources are there in place for such absurdity, when other more serious problems remain ignored, infuriates me. When it comes to the medical profession the priorities should be focused upon the physical and mental health of the general public and not diverted by creating "Ken" and "Barbie" human beings

Now I shall step down from my soap box!

Hugs, Lisa dearest, big hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.