Do You Know this About Milk?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I always thought that it was only cream and full fat milk you had to avoid on a GERD diet.  I've been using Trim milk which is about 0.2% fat.  However, my esophageal ulcer has been playing up and causing me pain even so.  Yesterday I did some research and found an article about a study that was done in the seventies.  The upshot of it was that ALL kinds of milk, even non-fat milk cause a stimulation of stomach acid secretion.  Looks like milk is off the menu as well now. sad

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How about goats milk or soya milk ?    I had GERD for many yrs and it was horrible so I understand what your saying. What treatment are you receiving ?
    • Posted

Hi Lovelane....I'm lactose intolerant and goat's milk contains lactose. I seem to remember reading that soy should be avoided with acid reflux also.  I don't have acid reflux any longer, but have ulceration caused by it. I've tried ranitidine which made me ache all over and this last week have been on omeprazole, but my ankles and feet have become swollen, so I've stopped taking that. I'm seeing the doctor on Friday, but don't really know what I can take now. I would imagine that all PPIs will have the same side effects in me, but who knows. Maybe pantoprazole would work. The only reason I need to reduce my stomach acid is to stop accidents when acid rushes up my throat as I have a hiatus hernia. Life has become very difficult as I cannot bend, stoop or do anything other than remain perfectly perpendicular!  lol.
    • Posted

Hi again Lovelane...I checked up on soy and you might be right. Thanks for the suggestion. Am trying soy milk today. smile
    • Posted

Hi Lovelane...I'm doing just fine with the soy milk. smile  Any clues on how to put weight back on with a HH when you can't eat big meals or fats?
    • Posted

I'm ok with carbs. Just can't eat large meals and can't eat closer than 3 hours apart. Am eating mostly veg with lean beef with a little olive oil at the moment.  I somehow need to add a further 400 claories a day to gain a pound a week. Am totally flummoxed at how to go about this.
  • Posted

esophageal ulcer/s are extremely difficult to cure. One must be super prudent not to irritate the throat nor allow reflux (if that's possible). Since 90% are caused by the HPylori bacteria, if this hasn't been irradicated....cure probably not in the cards..

Keeping a limited amount of food/liquid in the stomach helps..thus a Gastritis type diet with easy digestive foods via small meals is helpful. PPI's help some..hurt others for routine acid reduction...great for HP irradication.

I'm not confident but lean towards the post surgery protocol of L Glutamine to boost recovery...Know what it can do for both Gastritis and IBS but not the esophagus...do some homework on this..see if it might be worth adding it to your program...your positioning can help or hurt as well...Claudio

• Posted

Hi donclaudio...Yes, I'm starting L-Glutamine today, am also considering apple pectin. Am also taking DGL licorice, blackstrap molasses and UMF manuka honey. The diet is fine, no acid problems there, but the big problem is as always, accidental acid rushes up the throat no matter how careful I am about position. I have had to devise methods of dressing etc using all kinds of 'weird' implements so that I don't have to bend. Even raising my leg slightly, causing the tiniest bend at the waist, will push acid up my throat. Mind you, it doesn't feel like I've got much of it left after using the H2 blockers and PPis for the last 3 weeks. I badly want to get back onto betaine HCl, but don't see that I can until the ulcer has healed. I just can't decide what is the safest way to go...to keep trying PPIs, or risk more acid damage by going it alone.
    • Posted

Know well its a "very tough" go...my sister in law with peptic ulcer did not have such a severe reflux but she did stop the PPI..and reduced stomach content volume. She was a heavy green tea drinker...and now water and occasional marshmallo.

She is Japanese and did take some Japaese herbals...she has been ulcer free now for 2 years...watches carefully her food and has adapted to smaller meals as a routine....she has never been overweight..and does very light exercise. she seems healthy as a race horse now at 75.

The problem with the PPI..it only blocks the production of HCL...and a very very small amount of Pepsin..thus you get concentrated bile and Pepsin as a result...both do far more damage outside the stomach than HCL...

claudio

• Posted

Rose,

am a tad confused....you have reflux only via positiioning?. you say even the slightest stomach contraction leads to reflux.

I'd think long and hard about Lynx or Nissen...I'm not an advocate whatsoever but I'd do conserable debate with myself and others.

I'd also switch from manuka to bismuth tablets...if they are tollerable..not the liquid...tabs are 265mg...so can take 600mg a tad more if if...these will help with the acid and maybe the ulcer...while I haven't any study other than gastric and peptic ulcers...they might help moreso than Widderspoon or other types of Manuka...

Claudio

• Posted

I do not know anything about ulcers and dieting, but I rely very heavily on low fat milk for treating my acid reflux. Not only does it soothe my stomach, but my throat as well. I remember in college a professor in a science course told us a story about a bull rider losing his thumb. He brought the thumb in a glass of milk and had it reapplied successfully. He was told if not for the milk the thumb the surgery may not have worked. I personally would get a few more opinions before removing milk from your diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.