Do you know what this was?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This actually happened to me years ago, but it still bugs me from time to time that I don't really understand it, and I never told anybody about it. So, when I was about 15 or 16 (I'm female, if it's relevant), I got this sort of bump on the side of my face. One of those sort of bumps that people just get sometimes?? I know Christopher Eccelston has something like it on his face (sorta the same place as mine), and I remember just seeing various people on TV sometimes with that sort of blemish. So I figured, oh well, it happens, I guess I just have to live with this. I did actually try popping it like a zit a few times, but to no avail. Just made it bleed. So I lived with it for months, possibly around a year. Suddenly, though, it became sore like a zit, and I could start to see that white sort of pustule on it. I sort of figured it was like I was just getting a zit right on top of it??? Well, as one who can't resist popping those annoying things, I popped it. And you know that semi-solid white stuff that comes out of zits? Well, a whole ton of it came out of this. Like, it wasn't just what was in that new zit, it was whatever was in this bump all along. I just kept squeezing, grabbing tissues to wipe it away every few seconds because it just kept coming and coming. It was disgusting and I felt horribly embarrassed, part of the reason why I've never talked about it before. Eventually it got to the point where I was getting nothing but clear pus, so I stopped. The bump on my face had definitely gone down, but it was still there.

So a week or so passed and it started feeling irritated again just like a zit, so I popped it again, squeezed out a bunch of stuff (though not as much as before), until I squeezed out all I could and I stopped. After another week, it became irritated again, and again I popped it. This time, when I had squeezed all the white stuff out, I noticed that there was something more in there that just couldn't come all the way out no matter how much I squeezed. It was white like all of the material that came out before, so I wanted it out as well. Squeezing the blemish made it sort of come out a little bit, so I eventually managed to grab it with my fingernails and pull it out. It definitely wasn't the same material that comes out of zits. It was fairly solid (though very small of course - maybe half a centimeter in length), and it was sort of almost like a pouch??? Like this was what had contained everything else in that blemish all that time. In any case, there definitely wasn't anything else left in there. No more bump. The wound at this point was actually a little lower than the rest of the skin on my face. Anyway, I was happy enough with this. I had gotten rid of the bump and I figured it would heal like any blemish.

Well it never really fully healed. I mean, it's not an open wound or anything, but it doesn't seem like a scar either (though I guess that's the only way I could classify it). It's still dark reddish, like a scab maybe, still slightly depressed in my face. It still just looks like a tiny wound in my face, if you look at it close up. It's really not very noticeable at all unless you're really looking at it. It kinda bugs me sometimes, but hey, it doesn't hurt or anything, whatever. 

But I dunno, I think about it every now and then and wonder just what the heck it was that I did. Because I mean I know zits but I've never heard of anything like this. And today I started feeling especially grossed out about it because this nasty thought entered my head. What if it never really healed properly because that tiny white pouch thing was actually like some essential part of the pore?? If that makes any sense. Like it can't heal like normal skin because there's something missing. It sounds dumb, and I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, so it's really just me freaking out about something that is probably insignificant. But I figured, hey, the internet is anonymous, and I've always been curious about this, so why not finally tell someone about it and see if anyone has a clue as to what it was. 

I'm sorry this turned out so long and rambly. I've never actually written out a description of it before. Sorry if this is just nasty and for no reason, but if you have any idea of what this was or what I did wrong here, please let me know. It's been driving me crazy for years now.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wonderful description!  Almost certainly a sebaceous cyst.  The advice would be "leave it alone" but in practical terms that is really not acceptable if visible.

Unlike a spot - or zit - simply squeezing and emptying does not make it go away. If I recall the reason is that the cyst has a capsule of cells [part of which you may have pulled out!] round it and unless that capsule [it may be one cell thick?] is removed will recur.  I recall someone that I knew years ago with one in ear lobe. Ultimately it went septic [due probably to squeezing] burst with spectacular pus and went away completely; not really recomended!

Best see a doctor about it  but I suspect in tehse troubled times you may not get far

• Posted

I agree with simonthethird.  I had a sebaceous cyst in the back of my ear.  I did the same thing and squeezed it.  It also went down but did not go away and would fester once in awhile.  It would get quite sore.  I finally went to the doctors and they surgically removed it.  Since then I have had no problems.  Get advice from a doctor and do not squeeze it anymore!
  • Posted

You probably got out the whole or most of the capsule - pretty good!  That should as you say deal with the filling up. What is inside is not pus but is actually soggy keratin - the stuff hair and skin are made of.

They are not now called sebaceuos cysts I'm led to believe.

I'm sure that if it is fully empty [as it were] then the skin will ultimately heal

• Posted

I've had several of these cyst type things a waxy, slightly smelly exudate, it's a bit more solid than pus and once it has all come out the cyst takes a good while to refill. Ideally we should leave them alone but the temptation to pop them is just too great!! Seriously, though, avoid popping them if you can as inevitably they'll get infected and then it will leave a scar once any infection has been treated.
  • Posted

I had the exact same thing behind my ear, I waited a few months although it was really bothering me an then I realized it was finally ready to pop so I did and it took like a week of pain but I did it and now there is still a little bump but it doesn't bother me, it doesn't hurt and I feel way better. I was going to go to the doctors but I see no point of it anymore...I believe it was because I wasn't shower enough tbh

• Posted

I had one of those spots but it was on my arm, I did the same as what you did and kept popping it, when I was in the shower I lightly rubbed my arm with a sponge and attached to the scab was a small pouch of yellow stuff, I now have one behind me knee and am unable to bend it properly, if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of these please let me know
  • Posted

I have the same situation and recently I went to the dermatologist and found out that mine is cancerous you should definitely go get it checked so have the same situation where I have a darkened depression where the cyst type material was originally located when I tried to squeeze it and same situation got infected never really went away until finally I actually did get it and a little white wormy looking thing came out of my face and it healed up and has not gotten agitated again however like I said I went to the dermatologist and had a biopsy and it is skin cancers and has to be removed never hurts to go see a dermatologist just to make sure
  • Posted

guys can anyone please help me I am in trouble because of this unidentified pimple usually normal pimples just burst and vanish! but this pimple is something disgusting it from months at it has stayed swollen like a little bump on my knows it doesn't even pains when i touch it its very soft..nor it burst again...what is this thing who seems like a pimple but is a permanent bump that hasn't gone till now and also it doesn't even pains..and please tell me how to treat this thing

• Posted

Good afternoon all,

I am actually quite an expert on these particular annoyances. All of the above replies are most certainly cysts, with some being categorized as cystic acne. I have gotten these fairly often since puberty due to the fact that I have very small pores. I also believe that my condition of low blood pressure in combination with this adds to the result. I am also a popper and find it extremely difficult not to pop them. Unfortunately for me, I am required to use some restraint in hands these as they tend to grow much worse if aggravated and not ripe enough to remove the root. "Root" in my case is almost always one or several ingrown strands of hair. I have found that these cysts will come to a head, quite literally (Ba-Dum, Tss) smile, after about 4-5 days. From my experience, if an attempt to pop the cyst is made at this deceivingly premature state, it will swell into a painful, red bump. These types of cysts take about a week and a half to come to the point where the root is loosened and the entire blemish will be removed. If done properly, any mark whatsoever will vanish in two weeks time. In the case of OP, which I myself am guilty of on more occasions than I am proud of, I play with it and extend the amount of time it stays on my body. The other solutions consist of: 1. Just letting the irritation fade (parents consider this but fail to realize that the "root" of the problem still remains in it's cozy cabin. Again, Ba-Dum, Tss. You can also immediately remove the cyst by copying the technique used by doctors. To do so you will need a sharp, thin knife, preferably a scalpel, lots of gauze, and an empty stomach (it can smell very bad) Finally, the final option would be a trip to the dermatologist, in which they may do something much like the previous option, but with numbing agent and a syringe. The previous two options are not preferred unless you would like a scar and should only be used as a last ditch effort. As for OP, regarding cysts in which I poked at and was left with an indented dark red spot, ( my worst was large and under my left eye) it will take several months for it to go away. I believe mine took up to 8! Finally, as for the pouch found inside the cyst, I have gotten them also and unfortunately do not have an explanation for that. But rest easy in the fact that you are not secretly chosen to hatch alien babies from your skin! I get them too! smile Have a good day all. -Zach.

(This is a picture of me while I had the one under my eye at about 6 months in to healing)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.