Do you lose weight after carbimazole treatment is over and thyroid is back to normal ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

I've been on carbimazole for 7 months now , started at 20 mg and now on 5 mg daily since one month .

I've put on 10 kg despite watching my diet and exercising 4-5 days per week, every week . I also suffer from hair loss , acne and on and off rashes .

I've always been slim with a stable weight so for me it's not a matter of overeating nor my body going back to its normal weight with treatment... quite the opposite ! I've never eaten so healthy and still the weight just won't go away .

My t3 and t4 levels are already normal , Tsh was still on the low side in November. Having blood tests done in January.

I would like to hear from those who have completed their carbimazole treatment ... does the weight drop then ??

Thank you for your help x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I really think it's all about getting the correct dosage? I've jumped from 5 where I had no weight gain to a few pounds on 10 mg! I eat Paleo and have a blood test every month 😀.

• Posted

For me, I have gained around 2 to 3 kg haflway through the medication but gradually lost them. It's around 1.5 years now for me. I think the effects of the medication and our thyroid condition may differ person to person. I have also exercised regularly three to four times a week. 

What about your diet? I always try to ensure I eat as healthily as possible, and not overeat (e.g. stop at 80% full). 

Take care and all the best to you!

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your response...your weight gain is not much at all and I'm glad to hear that you lost the extra kg too. Lucky you wink

I do watch my diet, sticking to healthy options and limiting added sugars, salt as well as carbs. I tend to eat vegetables, fruit, protein and a bit of nuts and have a bit of wholegrain carbs or oatmeal only at breakfast. 

I'm having new blood tests next week and will see with my doctor if I could further reduce my meds to help me along with the weight loss.

Good luck to everyone who is struggling as I am !

• Posted

I'm convinced Carbimazole puts weight on as I gained 2 stone in 18 months and I also eat healthily and exercise daily.

I started on 30mg Carbimazole for 12 months - then my Endo swapped me over to block and replacement (30mg Carbimazole and 100mg Thyroxine daily) which I have been on for 6 months.

On the 1st December I came off both medications, so I have been over a month without Carbimazole and Thyroxine, my blood levels are good (except TSH which can take 2 years to come back to normal, well thats what my Endo says) and I'm feeling great. 

I've lost 6lbs since 1st December.

I just have to hope I'm in remission with Graves !  I'm back to see my Endo mid February and am due for another blood test end of January.

I'm in the UK where they do block and replacement - its on the British Thyroid Foundation website,

I hope we can all get back to normal with health and weight biggrin

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply ! You've given me hope smile

I hope you are in total remission and that all goes well for you in February.

Take care 

• Posted

Hello Jan

I was diagnosed with thyrotoxicosis about a year ago and prescribed carbimazole. I haven't taken it because I so scared of the weight gain. I have lost 20kg , yes, I am underweight but I cannot bear to gain excessive weight. Do you think I should ask the GP about block and replace or do you think I should see an Endo? The problem is that doctors treat the thyroid and not the whole person. My GP does not understand my concern because his concern is only the thyroid. I don't feel unwell. My heart rate is high, yes but I don't feel unwell at all. My T4 is very high, 90, at the moment.

• Posted

Your doctor will consult with your Endo for your best treatment. My doctor asked advice off my Endo all the time and wouldn't even change dosage without asking him.

As you can see my reply to the original post was from 3 years ago . I lost weight coming off Carbimazole, kept the weight off until this year. I had a relapse last year (Sept 2019) and was put back on Carb 30mg, I could have done block and replacement again but decided to do it the titration method (gradually decreasing the carb) I'm now down to 5mg a day, feel ok and weight is stable and so are all my thyroid functions. I did gain weight again this time round but 10lbs rather than 2 stone. Doctors and Endo's aren't concerned about weight gain!

But a very valuable lesson I've learnt is, if your thyroid continues being overactive it can cause complications with your health - like heart problems and bone density. Because my thyroid was overactive undetected first time round (as I had no symptoms) when I was originally diagnosed with Graves its caused me now to have osteoperosis (thinning bones), another thing osteoperosis was down to, was due to having gone through the menopause when you lose estrogen, which protects bones.

Neither doctor or Endo warned me about the risk of osteoperosis and the link between thyroid and osteoperosis, otherwise I would have taken extra calcium and vitamin D3 /K2 which ladies should be taking if going through the menopause.

I hope this post helps others. Jan 😃

• Edited

Hi Kristell,

Just wondering if the weight ever came off. Ive had Graves for 6 years and taken hardly any carbimazol no weight gain. After a relapse last January I went on 5mgs and stayed on itbuntil this month- now every other day Levels are great- best in whole 6 years but Ive put on a stone and feel huge!

Let me kniw how you went if you can thanks

• Posted

Hello Kristell

I was wondering how you are going with your weight now? I am not taking carbimazole because I am scared of the weight gain. I just can't bring myself to go there. I read some devasting outcomes on this forum and I just can't do it.

• Posted

Hi

I have just found this site and thread.

I was diagnosed with Graves in January this year (my endocrinologist prefers to call it Autoimmune Thyroid toxicosis! said Graves is old fashioned!) I have put on 14lbs, I'm devastated, I am usually a healthy weight, and active exerciser (running, gym, pilates), I am always hungry but do not give into it, 3 healthy meals a day and healthy snacks, honestly, I feel as if my metabolism is non existent. I also get constipated (sorry) so am taking a mild herbal help. My first blood test was good, and my dose of carbimazole has gone from 20 to 15 mg. I am always shattered, I work 07.30 to 14.30, and fall asleep when I get home. Try and stay awake as I don't sleep very well at night. Does it get better??

• Posted

hi guys.

I've just been diagnosed with graves disease and I have been trying to get started with living normal again.

I was on 5mg of carbizamole 1 time a day which was increased to 20mg 2 times a day.

I've no energy. my blood pressure is through the roof so I keep getting pains in my chest and breathing properly.

I am loosing weight as my thyroid is extremely overactive.

I am loosing weight..

can anyone offer support please

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with graves disease.

I am on 40 mg of carbimazole a day.

my heart taking a beating my blood pressure is not good is very high.

I'm struggling to cope.

can anyone help me please x

• Posted

Hiya

I was diagnosed with graves disease two years ago. I was rapidly losing weight, my heart was racing and i felt just so unwell. I also lost muscle strength in my legs so found it hard to get up off of floor. I started on 40 mg and noticed a a change within a few weeks and gradually over the months began to feel loads better.

After about 6 months my eyes started feeling really dry and gritty. i had developed graves eye disease as well. My eyes continued to swell until i had double vision, so i then had to have 12 weeks worth of IV steroids which put my eyes into remission. so look out for any symptoms like that.

Its a horrible illness but youll feel so much better soon xx

• Edited

hi Kristel,

I was on 40mg daily for a few months, my dosage was gradually decreased to 5mg daily over the course of 3 years. I just stopped my treatment over a week ago. finally! thank you Lord!

I was weighing 67 kgs when I was first diagnosed. I am now weighing in at 50.3 kgs. I lost weight despite being told that I would gain some weight. The only thing I did was exclude refined carbs from my diet.

Since I've been off the treatment I've noticed additional weightloss of 1 kg. however I think that might have just been excess water weight.

I also found that once I started intermit fasting my thyroid began to show significant results.

I hope this helps 🤗🤍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.