Do you still have a meniscus following TKR?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know if you still have a meniscus following a TKR?

I'm not sure if we still have these structures in place following this op?

I had an Arthroscopy to repair 2 tears in my right knee over 4 years ago, then I had a TKR on that knee in August last year.

Whilst recovering from this I fell down about 6 steps and hurt my left knee, I had an MRI in January and went for the results yesterday, I now have 2 tears in my left knee and have been put on the waiting list to have another Arthroscopy in about 6 weeks time.

I am so fed up with problems with my knees as I just want to lead a normal life again, think work is starting to get fed up with the amount of time I've had off with knee problems!! I'm a staff nurse so it has a big impact on my daily working life.

So I just wondered am I free from tearing my meniscus again now I have a TKR or not?

Hope some one can help please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The miniscus is part of the knee joint and is replaced by the artificial knee. Good riddance in my case. 
  • Posted

As far as I'm aware but I'm not 100% sure you don't have a meniscus with a TKR. I will ask my surgeon when I see him for my check up on the 18th.

I too work in a hospital so I totally get what your saying about work. Occy health have been great with me but I have no intention on going back to work until I am fully fit as this sickness will put me on a stage 2. 

Good luck with your next surgery. 

• Posted

If you've had a TKR you will not have any meniscus, nor will you have cruciate ligaments. The meniscus is replaced by the polyethylene/plastic part of your TKR. In my case, the femur has a titanium part cemented on, then there is the polyethylene meniscus part, then there is stainless surgical steel cemented on to the tibia. I still have my kneecap and it has not been resurfaced. You will however retain your medial ligaments (on either side of your knee).  Good luck 😖
    • Posted

I have had a total right knee replacement.

Was going up 3 steps, and on the last step, I heard a pop.

I swear the pain is the exact same, as before, when I needed the knee surgery.

I am going to have to go get an MRI to see what is causing my pain and I dread knowing as well as the pain.

Thanks for your explanation above, as it is exactly like mine.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies, it's good to hear we don't have meniscus, I don't have to worry about any more tears!!!

• Edited

Same here no meniscus, just a lump of plastic. The knee cap was ground off and a piece of plastic put under that as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.