Do you take a natural supplement to help manage your BPH? Does anything really work for you?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Saw Palmetto has been the classic supplement promoted for reducing the enlarged prostate and improving the urinary function. Personally I didn't find extended use provided any beneficial effect for me, but I am finding some recent improvement and wonder if that may be down to my current use of Stinging Nettle Root.

Does anybody have comment to make in the role of zinc in prostate health.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

a friend of mine who is 70 years old, told me the same thing.  Saw Palmetto, didn't work for him.  What did work, was betasitosterol.  It's cheap at the vitamin store for around $8.00 a bottle of 120 capsules.  He takes 4 a day.  His night time urination went from 6 to 8 visits to the restroom to around 1 to 2 a night.

• Posted

No herbals or Rx drugs can cure BPH. Beware of ads that say they can.
  • Posted

I tried both saw palmetto and zinc combined with pumpkin seeds for a couple of years, zero effect.   It doesn't stop the prostate weed growing inside you.

• Posted

I tried Saw Pal but didn't see any difference. I buy pumpkin seeds by the kilo (cheap) and blitz them with flaxseed, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and ginseng. I make a smoothie with this every morning. (I buy everything by the kilo, its cheaper).

I include the other additives with the pumpkin seeds to maintain good health and keep diabetes at bay because I was diagnosed with Metabolic syndrome, which is supposed to be the precurser to diabetes a very long time ago.

I take one Flomax about an hour before bedtime and don't drink after 7pm. I generally wake up for one pee a night and that is usually around 7am.

?I had a systoscopy and flow test last month and my urologist (Mr Khan) told me my prostate is protruding into my bladder. The flow test showed I am retaining about 150ml after peeing. He went on to say the next stage is turp, but if you can tolerate your condition you can carry on until such times as you think you need further treatment. I thanked him and told him I hope never to see him again, but its good to know you are there for me. 

?Previously, I used Finasteride for 9 months along with Flomax. It played havoc with my libido and I don't think it did much good. Since dumping it everything has come back to normal and my sex life has returned with better intensive orgs.

?I'm not about to say my smoothies cause my better health and outlook on life, but I am not about to stop making them in the foreseeable future. Oh, also, I sweeten my coffee and tea with raw honey, I stopped using sugar years ago.

?I am 77 years old.   

• Posted

Chris, try betasitosterol.  You can get it at the Vitamin Store and it is cheap.  Around $8.00 for a bottle of 120 capsules. My friend takes four of them a day, which he spreads out during the day and his night time visits to the bathroom went from 6 to 8 times a night to around 1to 2 times a night.  He said that maybe once a month, he has a little retention, but other than that, he feels fine with a very good flow.  It took him four days of taking betasitosterol, and he noticed the difference.  Before trying betasitosterol, he tried saw palmetto and the usual stuff that like pumpkin seeds etc.  Nothing worked.
  • Posted

I have been taking saw palmetto for years.  I am not sure of the impact, but it may prevent/delay onset of cancer.  At least, that's what I am telling myself.  My urologist recommended it.  My PSA levels have been in the 2-3 range.  The urologist said he focuses on the change in PSA levels.  Recently, my PSA went down to 1.  Over the last year, I have been adding pecans to my daily oatmeal.  There was a study about the benefit of tree nuts on prostate cancer.

• Posted

Hi mark, are you taking any prostate medications ? Hank
    • Posted

I am only taking the saw palmetto - a brand recommended by my urologist.  Last year - 8 months before my urolift procedure, he put me on tamsulosin (gen. Flomax).  This alpha blocker has helped others.  Perhaps it's part of a protocol that Medicare insists on.  It helped a little on the nocturia for awhile.  But, the other side effects - primarily on my endurance - had trouble exercizing, working in the garden, secondarily retrograde ejaculation made me look for an alternative.  My urologist agreed in January.  Discussed alternatives (I had a TUNA 10 years ago).  Did a cystoscopy to make sure that the urolift would work.  Procedure done this February and off the Flomax - yay.  So far, pretty much as expected.  I have added nuts to my diet as I saw an article last year that they might help against prostate cancer, which I believe my dad had in his 70's (mid 1990's).  He took Hytrin - predecessor to Flomax.  Ironically, today was turn in your meds to the police day and I gave them my prescription bottle of tamsulosin (good riddance).

• Posted

I've tried every supplement under the sun for BPH.  Do they help?  Who can say for sure?  I will tell you this;  whenever you read scientific data from reputable websites, they like to channel their three favorite words, in talking about supplements for the treatment of BPH.  "RESULTS ARE INCONCLUSIVE."  Put the following title in Google - quotes and all - and you'll be taken to the ncbi website.  It's an excellent, cutting edge forum for the latest results.  "Nutraceuticals in Prostate Disease: The Urologist’s Role"  Best of luck, my friend.

• Posted

Were you taking saw palmetto berries and not the roots and leaves?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.